Eggless tutti frutti cake is a yummy treat. You can have them for easy weekday breakfast. Eat them during travel, or serve them during a high tea. With or without tea, they are great for a snack.
Tutty fruity cake makes a best pick-me-up mid-week. We love baking with them. I always end up eating so many raw, while baking them. I think I eat it more than my bub. Though vegan cakes are quite a trend these days, eggless cakes have been around for many decades.
Other similar eggless recipes for cakes and muffins include Eggless banana walnut cake, Eggless blueberry cake ,Vegan airfryer muffins, Eggless chocolate walnut cake, vegan banana oat muffins , Vegan chocolate muffin & Vegan Christmas cake .
What are Tutti Frutti made of?
They are colorful dried papaya bits. Some people also make it from candied berries. It take baking to the next level. Tutti frutti recipe makes my day. You can make an eggless tutti frutti cake with wheat flour too or just make bread. Make a pineapple tutti frutti cake or mango tutti frutti cake if you do not like vanilla. Make tutti frutti cup cakes with egg or eggless tutti frutti muffins. They are spongy too. Make biscotti, buns, tutti frutti bread or yummy ice cream too.
Trivia: Bread and cakes has been an integral part of Mumbai culture. Brun masks and Irani chai at Goodluck cafe near Mt Mary Bandra is one of my favorite memory. Iyengar bakeries serve trays of Dilkhush buns, cake or Dilpasand and patties to those hungry kids back from sports. Britannia Tutti Frutti cake is a favorite with many kids even now which serves a slice with a longer shelf life.
- self raising flour replace with 2 cup plain flour, 1½ teaspoon baking powder,¼ baking soda
- butter milk (milk+vinegar) at room temperature lightly warm milk
- sugar powdered
- tutti frutti bits / candied fruits
- vanilla extract
refer to recipe card for details.
Learn to bake tutti frutti cake by using the step by step photo instructions below.
- Mix lightly warm milk with vinegar to make buttermilk.
2. Add all ingredients to the bowl and whisk well.
3. Mix until you get a dough with pouring consistency.
4. Add the tutti frutti bits to the dough.
Top tip: Do not over mix the batter.
5. Grease the loaf pans with butter or oil and pour the dough in it. You can also use parchment paper if you have it handy.
6. Bake until perfect in a preheated oven at 160 deg C for 40 mins or until toothpick comes clean. Slice it and serve.
Note: Since this recipe has papaya, pregnant women should consult doctor before intake.
Store it in airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also freeze it. Microwave it before you serve.
Variations and substitutions
You can make this recipe with wholemeal flour and self raising whole meal flour too. Optionally, you may add an icing like a vanilla slice on top once the cake cools. You can also make with condensed milk and all purpose flour / plain flour. Optionally, you may add 3-4 drops of vanilla essence or rose essence to the batter. You can also bake spongy tutti frutti cake with egg. A great variation- make a pineapple tutti frutti cake recipe using pineapple essence.
Eggless tutti frutti cake recipe | indian tutti frutti cake recipe
- loaf pan
- Mixing bowl
- Mix milk(at room temperature) with vinegar and keep it aside for few minutes to curdle.
- Add sugar to the mix, add oil thereafter
- Sift flour and add it to the wet mix
- add ½ cup tooty fruity to the cake batter
- Grease the cake tin with oil.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan.Decorate it with more tutti fruiti.
- Pre heat the oven at 160C for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 40 minutes(at 160 degree C) or till a knife tip comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely and turn the pan upside down on a large plate and tap slightly on the bottom of the pan to unmould the cake.
- Cut into wedges or squares as desired.
No eggs no problem! Bake these eggless cake recipes instead.
- Mawa cake
- Chenna pudo/Indian baked cheese cake
- Black forest cake
- Nankhatai -desi shortbread cookies
- Ragi cookies
Tutti frutti is made with raw papaya. In general papaya is avoided during pregnancy, hence its better to avoid tooty fruity during pregnancy.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Conclusion: You can never go wrong with this cake. Enjoy teatime with love and a slice of teacake.