What are Tutti Frutti made of?They are colorful dried papaya bits. Some people also make it from candied berries. It take baking to the next level. Tutti frutti recipe makes my day. You can make an eggless tutti frutti cake with wheat flour too or just make bread. Make a pineapple or mango tutti frutti cake if you do not like vanilla. Make tutti frutti cup cakes with egg or eggless tutti frutti muffins. They are spongy too. Make biscotti, buns, bread or yummy ice cream too. We love baking with them. I always end up eating so many raw, while baking them. I think I eat it more than my bub.
Childhood memoriesBread and cakes has been an integral part of Mumbai culture. Countless cups of Irani chai at Goodluck café. Talking for hours with my best friend near Mt Mary. So magical. Ah what days! Down south too, bakeries always served fresh food. I loved going to Iyengar bakeries. Best part was they were eggless. Hot trays of Dilkhush buns, cake or Dilpasand and patties lined small shops. Some of us have always loved the britannia tooty fruity cake. I always remember carrying fruit cake with me during travel. We would travel for 2 days to reach central India from South. Hence, there was always a big snack bag. Loved all the goodies mum packed.
Step-by-step tutty fruity cake recipe
- Mix lightly warm milk with vinegar to make buttermilk.
Note: Since this recipe has papaya, pregnant women should consult doctor before intake.
Read the eggless tutti frutti cake recipe below:
No eggs no problem! Bake these instead.
Eggless tutti frutti cake
Note:Do note that the baking time changes if you use a cake pan of another size.
- 2 cup self raising flour replace with 2 cup plain flour, 1½ teaspoon baking powder,¼ baking soda
- 1⅓ cup milk with 2 teaspoon vinegar at room temperature lightly warm milk
- ½ cup sugar powdered
- ¾ cup tutti frutti ½ cup for batter, ¼ for garnish
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup oil
- Mix milk(at room temperature) with vinegar and keep it aside for few minutes to curdle.
- Add sugar to the mix, add oil thereafter
- Sift flour and add it to the wet mix
- add ½ cup tooty fruity to the cake batter
- Grease the cake tin with oil.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan.Decorate it with more tutti fruiti.
- Pre heat the oven at 160C for 10 minutes
- Bake for 40 minutes(at 160 degree C) or till a knife tip comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely and turn the pan upside down on a large plate and tap slightly on the bottom of the pan to unmould the cake.
- Cut into wedges or squares as desired.
You may replace tooty fruity with chocolate chips if required.
- Mawa cake
- Chenna pudo/Indian baked cheese cake
- Black forest cake
- Nankhatai -desi shortbread cookies
- Ragi cookies
Can I eat tutti frutti during pregnancy ?
Tutti frutti is made with raw papaya. In general papaya is avoided during pregnancy, hence its better to avoid tooty fruity during pregnancy.