Soy granules are a thing of joy. You can easily make vegan mince from this, It has a meaty texture and helps you stay full for long time. This vegan substitute is a great option for those who want to avoid meat yet get the protein. It has a neutral flavor and thus makes a great base for any flavor you like. There are many vegan recipes you can make with this versatile ingredient. You can add small pieces of nuggets to a simple potato curry or make a soya nuggets pilaf. Another great recipe is soya mince or soya keema which is plant-based alternative to meat mince. Some people like to make it as a dry sabzi, soya keema matar or serve it as soya keema biryani. soya curls taco is another delicious meal you can have.
There are many other dishes you can make. You can make soya nuggets pulao or soya nuggets curry. Soya chaap curry and soya chunks manchurian are also very popular street food nowadays, especially in North India. Who says plant-based diet is boring?
Best part of soy granules, you can store them in your pantry and use them whenever you have very little veggies at home. You can use vegan mincemeat in many different ways. Cook it with pasta sheets and spaghetti sauce for a yummy lasagna. You can make easy vegan mince pies for Thanksgiving or Christmas time festive treat. Vegan mince pie recipe is super tasty and so is cooking vegetarian mincemeat with pasta sauce.
Ingredients for vegan mince
- Soy granules (refer picture below) ,also sold as TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- hot water
- ginger, garlic
- curry powder
- red paprika
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- Taco/Tortilla shells for serving
See recipe card for quantities.
This is how these soy granules look, they are also sold as TVP(textured vegetable protein)
Soak 2 cups soy granules, in 3 cups hot water in a large bowl.
Wait for 15 minutes and drain it using a sieve. Press the mix to drain excess water.Keep it aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add ginger and cumin seeds.
Add chopped onions with little salt and let it cook for few minutes, add chopped tomatoes
Cook on medium heat, until tomatoes soften, Add curry powder, red paprika and mix well.
Now, add cooked mince to the pan and cook for few minutes
Optionally add soy sauce to the vegan mince mix, continue to cook for 8-10 minutes on low heat or until the the mixture turns little dry.
Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve hot with roti or vegan naan.
Hint: Once you soak granules, they will soften and bulk up. Check by mashing a few within your fingers. Leave for few more minutes if you find it tough.
If you like it spicy, add some chopped green chilies to it. You can also use ghee to temper the curry if you are vegetarian. You can also serve them with a bun or dinner roll. Another great way can also serve it as a burrito bowl with brown rice. You can also make a no onion garlic recipe by using just tomato sauce /tomato paste.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes, black pepper or chopped green chilies to it.
- You can add more Indian spices like garlic powder, garam masala powder, dried mango powder.
- large bowl
- large skillet / frying pan
- food processor optional (for chopping onions,tomatoes)
Store this vegan mince curry for 3-4 days. You can always reheat before you serve.
You can also freeze them in an airtight container. just thaw and reheat before you serve.
You can expedite the curry by using authentic curry sauce recipe. Just add some water and add some mince to it.
soy has many health benefits. It is very high in protein and low in carbs. They also have low fat content. It helps lower cholesterol content and prevent cancer. It also helps avoid loss of bone mass.
Nutrela meal maker, Indya, Gardein, Quorn, Bird's eye and beyond meat are some popular brands.
vegan soy mince | vegan mince recipe
- large skillet
- Soak 2 cups soy granules, in 3 cups hot water. Wait for 15 minutes and drain it using a sieve. Press the mix to drain excess water.Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add ginger and cumin seeds,
- Add chopped onions awith little salt and let it cook for few minutes, add chopped tomatoes
- Cook on medium heat, until tomatoes soften,Add curry powder, red paprika and mix well.
- Optionally add soy sauce to the vegan mince mix, continue to cook for 8-10 minutes on low heat or until the the mixture turns little dry.
- Garnish vegan mince with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve hot as a filling for a taco/tortilla.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
dried soya mince from grocery store makes cheap yet easy mince meat recipes. Plant-based mince can be eaten with flatbread or in baked a pie crust to make delish vegan version of Christmas mince pies.