What is vegetarian pizza?
Pizza is one of the most loved recipes. The moment you say pizza, it means a celebration.You may be vegan or gluten-free. Old or young. Vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Everyone loves a pizza. Homemade vegetarian pizza is our way of bringing Italian diner home. There is nothing better than sight of a beautiful crust. Cheese oozing out, when you pick up a slice. All your stress disappears in a minute. Pure bliss!
It is strange.
A rectangular box comes with a round pizza. Triangle slices fill your heart with happiness. Much like life, it surprises you.
How is this healthy pizza recipe ?
This is a healthy version of the recipe. We have added whole wheat flour and flax seeds to the base. It still does contain some plain flour though. Here, we have added flax seed meal to base that makes it healthier too. Adding flax seeds to plain flour along with whole meal gives it a fibre content almost equal to a full whole wheat pizza.
what goes on vegetarian pizza?
Pizza essentially has 3 parts.
- Tomato sauce
You can buy the base or make your own. Same with the sauce. I love making it from the scratch. You can make the sauce in advance. Freeze it for weeks. Thaw and use. Then add your toppings and cheese.
I love getting fresh vegetables from the market. Toppings are a great way to include veggies. Especially, if you are transitioning from non-veg diet to veg. Capsicum, onion, corn and even spinach. Sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Broccoli, mushrooms. Asparagus and zucchini. Add as much as you want. Lebanese style pizza has Zatar spice. No tomato sauce on those but equally tasty. Some people also like pumpkin, potatoes and eggplants on it too. I was surprised to see that in an authentic Italian diner.
I guess in India, we were used to more American style pizzas. Loaded with cheese. No matter what your taste, pizza means a good party. Use different veggie toppings on every half. Enjoy more taste in every bite!
You may add as much cheese as you want or as little. Pizza blend style cheese contains Parmesan, mozzarella and cheddar. If living outside India, one does have to check the cheese type. Not all cheese are vegetarian. Parmesan does have animal rennet in it.
Why do people love pizzas?
It is a great option when guests come. No worry about the heat of chilly. All kids love it. They love it when you involve them while adding veggies of their choice. Some just want a margarita pizza. Mostly kids ask for only cheese one. Just ensure, they are away from the hot oven. You can add as much or as little cheese as you want.
The recipe for the pizza base is same as that of the homemade buns. If you want you may make a bread/buns with remaining flour.
how to do vegetarian pizza?
I love pizzerias but white flour pizzas are no good for the gut. Hence, we kept trying various ingredients, to make it healthier. Base is the most important part of a pizza. A good crust ensures a good experience. Usually, you will find that base is made of plain flour in restaurants. However, home cooking means healthy food.
Cooking on pizza stone with only plain flour gives you a good crust. However, for a whole meal flour based pizza you need something extra hot. Good old cast iron pan works best. Also, the taste differs in your pattern of adding sauce and veggies.
Add veggies of your choice.Hide it with cheese for picky kids. You can also try the gluten-free pizza if you would like to have a change. Cauliflower florets finely chopped make a good base.
Step by step pictures to make the pizza dough and pizza
- Add sugar to lukewarm water, mix until it dissolves. Now, add the yeast to sugar water, so that it activates. This will make the mix frothy. It usually takes 15 minutes. If your yeast water is not frothy enough, then the yeast may be old. Ensure your yeast is not stale.
6. Make equal portions. Keep them in a floured tray. Cover with a plastic film. Keep it in fridge for 2-3 hours.
9. Spread the veggies and then cheese again on top. Cook in a preheated oven at 200 degree C (fan forced) for 10-12 minutes.
Now, the recipe on how to make vegetarian pizza at home ?
Stone baked vegetarian pizza
- 2.5 cups flour 1-¼th cup plain flour and 1-¼th cup wholewheat flour
- 2 tbsp. flax seeds with 125 ml/1/2 cup warm water optional
- 2-½ tsp yeast in ½ cup water +½ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- ⅓ cup+ more water to knead into soft dough
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp Pizza sauce
- 3 cups Mix veggies sliced(capsicum,olives,baby corn,mushrooms)
- 1 ½ cup cheese ¾ cup cheddar, ¾ cup mozerrala or pizza blend cheese
- Dried oregano flakes
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to season
- Mix the flax seed meal with 1 cup water and keep it aside.
- Add sugar to lukewarm water, mix until it dissolves. Add yeast to sugar water, so that it activates. This will make the mix frothy and activate in 15 minutes.
- Add this yeast and flax seed mix to the flour with salt.
- Start mixing the dough while adding the remaining water.The dough needs to be a little wet and sticky, this will help the buns to rise and come out with a soft texture.
- Knead the dough, this will be sticky at the start, Add oil to remaining ingredients. Keep it aside for 30 minutes to rise.
- Once it has doubled, punch it down and knead it again.
- Divide the flour in 6/8 equal portions, give them a round shape using oiled hands,and arrange them in an floured baking tray with some space in between the portions.
- Cover with a cling film and keep them in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven for 15-20 minutes @200 degree celsius(fan forced) with the pizza stone
- Toss the veggies in 1 tbsp olive oil and keep it aside.
- Punch down the dough while removing the air once it has risen up.
- On a baking sheet,take a portion of the dough.
- Spread the dough evenly with help of a rolling pin/hand to the size of pizza pan or tray.
- Try to create a crust on the edge and a thin layer in the center.
- Spread the pizza sauce, followed by ¼ cup of cheese and veggies.
- Add remaining ¼ cup cheese on top ,season with salt and olive oil.
- Bake this on a fan forced/top&down grill for 8-10 minutes.
- Bake with the top grill for 3-4 minutes.
- The pizza is ready when the cheese has tuned golden brown in patches.
if you do not have the pizza stone, then use a full iron tava/pan(without any silicon/wooden handle) or any metallic tray suitable to oven. To get the molten cheese in between, spread a handlful of mozzarella cheese in the center of the pizza and then cheddar on the top
Click here to see more Italian recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.