Pizza is the current favorite of everyone.However,one thing that bugs me is the plain flour.I constantly think how we can make it healthier.One way is making it gluten-free.You can also make it vegan if that is your choice.Make it fresh instead of buying base from the store.You can use cauliflower as a base but that makes it bit delicate to handle.Other method is using gluten-free flour like buckwheat and amaranth.
Farali diet /falahari diet
Indian cuisine has a lot of gluten-free flat breads .We make this kuttu ki roti or buckwheat bread a lot during our fasting period.
Farali flour can be used to make various rotis.Farali flour ingredients here have both buckwheat and amaranth in it which is both gluten-free and nutrient rich.
This cuisine is known as farali or falhari which means fal ahaar or diet based on fruits.
Generally people eat once a day and use gluten-free flour only.We use this as a base to make our Navratri pizza.Here,we have used ingredients which as used in fasting.Thus creating our special falhari pizza.This recipe can also be used as Ekadashi pizza base recipe.Other farali recipes you can enjoy are falhari paneer tikka & falhari papdi chaat.
If you are not fasting,you may use any topping with this base.Create your own healthy version and enjoy!
Usual diet during fasting
Fasting is a way to practice self control.It has its set of rules which helps the body detox.
We pray and eat only gluten-free flours.We do not consume onions,tomatoes,garlic.We can eat certain root vegetables,dairy and fruits. We can consume only certain spices.
You can use ginger,dried mango powder, green chilli and black pepper.We use rock salt instead of sea salt.
Generally, we eat one meal a day.Usually on sunset.It is a great way to clear your mind and body.Prayers detox your soul while abstaining from food detoxes the body.
Step-by-step pictures for farali pizza recipe:
Read the falhari pizza recipe below:
- ¾ cup kuttu atta/buckwheat flour
- ¾ cup rajgira atta/amaranth flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Mint chutney
- Paneer or cottage cheese
- 1 large par-boiled potato
- 1 large par-boiled sweet potato
- Handful of pomegranate seeds for garnish
- In a bowl mix all ingredients for the roti(flatbread) with little water to make a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough in 3 equal portions
- Roll it into flatbreads using baking paper(greased paper)
- Cook the roti on a tava/pan using 1 teaspoon oil, keep it aside.
- Spread the chutney,followed by grated potato,sweet potato and Paneer.
- Spray oil on top of the pizza base using an oil spray(optional)
- Bake it in an oven with the grill on top at 170 degrees Celsius for 12-15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh pomegrante seeds, serve hot..
You may add avocado or green mango if available to the chutney.
Looking for more farali snacks?
Click here to see our top 10 vrat recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.