Crispy crackers give an extra edge to tea. They are great treat even during travel. Mathhi or matthri as we call it in North India is full of flavor. Flaky tidbits are usually circular in shape. You can make with plain flour or maida or add some whole meal to it. Make it vegan or add some butter or ghee to it. Adding spicy achaar masala to flat thin crackers make them double delight. It is also a good way to use the left over achar masala instead of throwing it away. These also stay fresh for long. It has been a constant companion for many in hostels away from home.
Mostly, these crackers are tasty vegan delicacies. You will be surprised how much of Indian cooking is vegan when you start looking. You can make it over the weekend and enjoy it with tea or coffee. Simple recipe yet so full of flavor. You may bake them or fry them. Who needs market based biscuits when home made has so much flavor?
How to make whole wheat achari mathri ?
To make mathri only with whole wheat i.e., aata and avoid plain flour i.e. maida. Add 1 teaspoon of semolina i.e., sooji and additional 1 tablespoon of ghee/oil to whole wheat flour while kneading it. This will ensure it remains crispy. Also, cook it on low flame, this will help to get crispy mathri without the use of plain flour i.e. maida. Ensure you store this in an air-tight container.
Step by Step pictures of Achari mathri
- Add the pickle spices to flour.
- Knead into a semi hard dough, take a small piece, roll into desired shaped.
- Cook on low heat.
- Take them out of the oil once dark brown in color.
Read the achari mathri recipe below
- 1 cup atta/wholemeal flour
- 1 cup maida/plain flour
- ¼ cup achar masala or left over pickle.
- Salt as per taste
- Little water for kneading
- Oil for frying
- Knead all the ingredients together in a bowl to make a medium-tight dough.
- Take a small amount of dough and roll it with a rolling pin into thin flat crackers.
- You may use a cookie cutter and cut the circles if you like even shape.
- Prick the crackers so that they don't puff up while frying.
- Heat oil and fry them crisp.
- Ensure oil remains medium hot.If the oil goes cold,you may see some boils on the cracker.
- Place the crackers on a tissue to soak extra oil.
- Store in a clean dry jar.
- You can also refer to our pickle section if you do not have leftover masala.
Use the spices listed in our tasty mango pickle/mango chickpea pickle to make your own spice-oil mix.
- To make mathri only with whole wheat i.e. aata and avoid plain flour i.e. maida, add 1 teaspoon of semolina i.e.sooji and additional 1 tablespoon of ghee/oil to whole wheat flour while kneading it.
Looking for more teatime snacks?
Also, click here to see more recipe videos at our channel "Secondrecipe".