Falafel is one of the most loved recipes. This recipe is now world famous and has fans all over the world. Baked falafel is our take on the original fried version. Baked Falafel - chickpea patties are super versatile. You may eat them as it is or with some salad or bread. You can also serve it with salad leaves, pickled onions cucumbers. Throw in some pita bread or just plain sandwich buns. Add some hummus dip to it. You do not need to find a Mediterranean eatery anywhere else.
Can I bake falafel mix instead of frying? Yes.
Baking is always healthier to frying. Patties are always easy snack for the tiffin. It is kid friendly ,vegan and super tasty. Baking them ensures you do not add junk calories. You can make this in advance on the weekend. School lunchboxes always need new ideas. Oven baked Falafel is a great option. You may skip tahini sauce if you want to avoid nuts in the sandwich. Chickpeas are easy to cook. Both kids and elders love them. They are full of protein. Left over boiled chickpeas can be eaten as a salad.
Bonus you get aquafaba 🙂
What are the ingredients for falafel?
Step by Step pictures for the falafel patties
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor
- Shape them into patties.
- Brush with oil and bake until golden brown.
How to make baked falafel?
Baked Falafel -vegan chickpea patties
- 1.5 cup chickpea soaked overnight, drained and cooked until one whistle (or 3 cups of canned chickpeas)
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup parsley/coriander
- 2 big cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp oil for brushing the falafel
- 1 medium green chilly
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt as per taste
- Add ingredients to a food processor and process them in batches.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon of mix and form patties of equal size (add more bread crumbs if the mix is not coming together to form the patties)
- Refrigerate the patties for 1 hour,this help the patties to retain their shape while cooking.
- Preheat oven for 5 mins at 180 deg C(fan forced)
- Brush the patties with oil,Bake in an oven for 10-15 mins at 180 deg C.
- Brush them again with oil and further bake until golden brown(another 15 minutes).
- Turn the broiler(top grill) function of the oven and bake for further 5 minutes to get them more brown.
- Allow it to rest(very important) for 10-15 minutes before serving, as they will be soft when just baked.
- Serve fresh with salad,pickled onions/cucumbers,pita bread or buns & hummus dip.
Looking for yummy Mediterranean recipes?
Click here to see more appetizer recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos from our Youtube channel "Secondrecipe".