Baked sweet potato chips are a crowd favorite. I first had them as a sample during Melbourne cup. Instantly, got hooked to them. While Indian cooking uses sweet potatoes for kheer and halwa during Navratri and other fasting. West uses them for pies and chips. Also, a good alternative to potato chips available in market.
You can make them easily at home for tea. It is one of the easiest starters for a party. You can bake them in a jiffy. Store them in an air-tight can. Serve it with hummus instead of normal chips for a twist. You can make them plain, salted, tangy and spicy as per your taste. These days you can make them in microwave or air-fryer too even if you do not have an oven. However, the crunch might differ. You may or may not add salt to it. I find the taste very earthy. I think they taste great even without salt. My bub loves to munch on them. Making them at home makes it preservative free and a great snack too.
Also, great to munch on way to work or during travel.
Benefits of baked sweet potato chips
- It is rich in Vitamin A and fiber.
- They are low in calories and oil. Thus much healthier than fried chips.
- They are kid-friendly, vegan and gluten-free.
- They have a natural sweetness to it.
- You can make the sweet potato chips for toddlers when they are teething and watch them chew.
Baked sweet potato chips
- mandolin slicer
- fan-forced oven
- 1 large sweet potato around 300 grams
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Using a mandolin slicer or s sharp knife, slice sweet potatoes lengthwise.
- Toss them with Olive oil.
- Spread them evenly on a baking sheet keeping some distance between the
- Bake for 15 mins @ 160 degree celsius in a fan forced oven.
- Toss the chips in the baking tray and bake again for 10-15 mins.
- Let it rest in the baking tray for 5-10 mins.
- Store in a dry air-tight jar.
They will be a bit soft initially but will turn crisp when they cool down.
Too much of oil will turn them soggy.
Click vegan for more vegan recipes.
Click starters to get more starter recipes.
To see more videos click video.