Extra crispy home baked French Fries which are BAKED not fried !!!
Yes, its true!!! Oven-baked fries are bit more healthier than deep-fried version. Yes junk food can be made equally tasty and healthy too. Just go through these tips below and you can enjoy this guilt-free version. Every movie, football, cricket match becomes extra special with friends and family 🙂
One of the secret behind those incredible crispy fries is soaking the raw potatoes before you bake them. This will remove some of the excess starch. Thus, makes them less soggy. Lesser the starch, more the crispiness. These potato fingers will delight you and surprise you! Perfect way to make kids happy and worry less too.
What kind of potatoes are used for homemade potato chips?
We get so many types of potatoes. How to know which one goes for mash? Which for frying? We need potatoes with high amount of starch for frying. These turn out well for potato chips.
How to test it?
A good way to check is by slicing them. When you slice the potatoes, some juice comes out. If the liquid oozing out of the slice is white. You are good to go. That means the starch content is good. These potatoes are also called as 'floury' potatoes. Potatoes that are waxy are not good for chips. These are generally new potatoes.
You can make chips from any potato but the results will differ. Color of your chips and fries changes. Even the taste. We have tried all the available variety. In any case, the older crop of potatoes will always get your better looking chips. You will need to experiment with a small batch of potatoes to understand the quality of potatoes that works best for you.
Russet type of potatoes work best for making chips at home. Here in Australia, we prefer using local variety like Red royal/purple/ sebago.
How to make extra crispy home baked French fries ?
- Cut the fries little thin about ¼ inch wide. Slice the whole potato lengthwise and then slice each piece of the potato again into fries. After slicing, coat the potatoes in olive oil, which in turn ensures fries end up being crispy when getting baked in the oven.
- Use a parchment paper or foil(make sure you spray oil over the foil) to avoid the fries to stick to the pan. This helps in getting the best crisp on the outside while keeping it a bit soft inside.
- Try not to crowd the fries on the pan. Ensure that they have a bit of space in between each other. This will ensure they are baked even and well.. Enjoy 🙂
Step by Step pictures of the recipe
- Take the best 'floury' potatoes. Avoid the new potatoes. We have used Sebago variety of potatoes in the recipe.
2. Peel the potatoes. You may choose to use them unpeeled as well. Just wash well.
3. Cut in the desired shaped. Soak them in cold water for an hour. Add few ice cubes as well.
4. Dry the potato sticks using a paper tissue.
5.Toss the seasoning with oil and salt.
6. Lay the fries in a baking tray lined with baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 200-220 C(fan forced) for 20-25 minutes.
Read the recipe of Home baked French Fries
Home baked French Fries
- 4-5 potatoes washed and peeled
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp spice mix Dried oregano/herbs/garlic
- Using a slicer, slice the potatoes or use cut them into wedges any shape.
- Take a pot filled with water, leave the potato slices for 1 hour
- Take out the potato pieces and leave them on a dry tissue or towel to dry for 30 minutes.
- Toss the potato pieces with oil/salt/spice mix in a bowl.
- Spread the potato slices in a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in a oven for 25 minutes at 200-220 C(fan forced)
- Serve hot with mayo or tomato ketchup.
More chips please?
Click here to see more appetizer recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".