Eggplants are such a great vegetable. Grows easily at home and cooks quickly too. There is always something which everyone likes. It is widely popular across the world. You can see Italians put in on their pizzas too. Stuffed eggplants is a popular dish in Mediterranean cuisine too. Eggplant Parmigiana,Baba ganoush and eggplant lasagna are wonderful ways of having your aubergines. Greek, Lebanese and Chinese use it too. You can find in many shapes and colours too. Green, purple and even lilac in colour. Some are long, others round or like a globe too.
Indian cuisine also uses them extensively. It is called as the king of vegetables as it has a crown on its head. The recipes of baigan include Sindhi taryal vangan or simple baingan aloo cooked in mustard oil.Telugu style vankaya chutney orPunjabi baingan ka bharta. Dahi baingan or Tamil vangi bhaath.No Telugu wedding is complete without Bagharei Baingan or Gutti vankaya kura in the feast. It has a rich nutty gravy full of flavor. It is a must have when there is any festival like Ugadi or wedding festivities.
Note: Some people are allergic to eggplants and report itchy mouth, skin and upset stomach. They should consult the doctor before having them. Some people find it better to avoid dairy while eating eggplants.
- Air fryer
- frying pan
- Food processor
- aubergine/ brinjal / eggplants
- For stuffing
- fresh coconut slices
- ginger,garlic cloves
- green coriander
- Red chilli powder
- For Gravy
- a medium tomato
- chilli powder
- turmeric powder
- kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
refer to recipe card for details.
Instructions for stuffed baingan paste
- Heat oil in pan. Add the coconut slices
2. Cook them until brown in color. take it out of the oil, allow it to cool.
3. Grind this coconut in a jar.
4. Add onions, ginger and garlic to the oil and continue to cook until soft.
5. Grind cooked onions, coconut and cilantro leaves.
6. Add spices to the masala mix
7. Grind them into a coarse paste.
How to make fried brinjal recipe in air fryer ?
- Wash the baigan and slice them lengthwise, check for any spoilt eggplants.(any eggplant with black spores should not be used)
2. Stuff the eggplant with masala.
3. Brush them with oil.
4. Preheat the air fryer at 180C | 355F. Cook for 10 minutes at 180 deg C| 355 deg F.
Instructions for Bharwan baingan recipe
- Take the leftover masala. Add tomatoes and few fresh coriander leaves, grind it into a paste.
2. Heat oil in pan. Add masala, methi, tomato and cook until tomato softens.
3. Add little turmeric powder, chili powder.
4. Add cooked baigan and 1 cup water
5. Cook on low heat with lid covered. turn over after 5-7 minutes. Turn off after 5-7 minutes.
Difference between Marathi and Telugu style. In the Telugu style, we add peanuts to the stuffing. Instead of using tomatoes, we use tamarind in the gravy. You can also add sesame seeds, poppy seeds in the baghare baingan masala. Use a handful of curry leaves and a teaspoon cumin seeds in the gravy to make it iron rich.
You can use any kinds of aubergines to make this delicious eggplant curry. Be it globe, green or snowy. Generally we use a purple small ones to make it. However, green, lavender and lilac ones can also be used.
Store it in refrigerator for 2-4 days. Sprinkle little water on the curry while you reheat.
Ringna na olo,Ringna Vatana,Baba Ganoush, Baingan bharta, eggplant bhajiya, baked eggplants, eggplant chutney or vankaya pachadi.
Telugu Hindu New year and falls on the first day of Chaitra month of the Hindu calendar. We celebrate it usually, late March or Mid-April. There are many activities lined up during Ugadi like Kolam Rangoli, visiting temples and a huge feast for all foodies. Traditional dishes like Ugadi Pachadi, Kajji kayalu(Gujiya), Gutti Vankaya kura, Mudda pappu, Puran Poli or Bobbatlu in the menu.
Generally 5-7 minutes until it is tender, once the oil is hot.
Stuffed baingan recipe
- ½ kg small eggplants
For the stuffing
- 2 tablespoon oil for cooking coconut and onion
- ⅓ cup coconut slices
- 2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup green coriander or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
For the gravy
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 medium tomato
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi
- salt as per taste
Baigan bharwa masala
- Heat oil in pan,add the coconut slices.Cook them until brown in color,take it out of the oil,allow it to cool
- Grind this coconut in a jar
- Add onions,ginger and garlic to the oil and continue to cook until soft.Take these cooked onions,coconut and green coriander for grinding
- Add spices to the masala mix,grind them into a paste
For stuffed eggplant in air fryer
- Wash the baigan and slice them lengthwise,check for any spoilt eggplants.(any eggplant with black spores should not be used)
- Stuff the eggplant with masala,brush them with oil.
- Pre heat the air fryer at 180C, cook for 10 minutes at 180C
For baingan sabji
- Take the leftover masala,add tomatoes and little fresh coriander,grind it into a paste
- Take oil in pan,add masala,methi,tomato, cook until tomato soft
- Add turmeric,chilli powder,Add cooked baigan and 1 cup water
- cook on low heat with lid covered,turn over after 5-7 minutes,turn off after 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with 'roti' or rice.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Please share your inputs..