What is baba ganoush ?
Baba ganoush is a famous Mediterranean eggplant dip recipe. This Levantine dip is something which you will never get bored of. You can find it in various Lebanese platters. This vegan and gluten-free dip is both easy and exotic. You can serve it in both starter as well as main course. Works great with hummus, falafel .Serve with carrot sticks and pita bread. Middle eastern cuisine has a great variety of vegetarian starters and dips. This cuisine is full of flavor and you do not need to be non-vegetarian for it.Vegetarian menu has great options from salads to desserts. I love the colors and the flavor palate of this cuisine.
What is baba ganoush made of ?
Baba ganoush is made with roasted eggplants/aubergine,mixed with tahini(sesame paste) and olive oil.It is seasoned with lemon juice and salt.
I fondly call it as foreign version of Baingan ka bharta .
Both Indian and Middle eastern recipes us the same technique.Roasting purple aubergines or brinjals.
Bharta is a salsa based mash while this is smooth olive oil based dip.
Note: This is a postpartum recipe.Please check with medical practitioner before including aubergines into your diet.Pregnant woman must avoid eggplants. Also,it can cause allergies.
Steps to cook bana ganoush
1.Wash and clean the eggplants and roast them on a grill on in a oven
2. remove the flesh of the egglplant,blend with garlic,chillies,salt, oil and lemon
Read recipe to make Baba Ganoush from scratch
Baba ganoush - vegan eggplant dip
- 2 large brinjal/eggplant/aubergine
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp green chillies
- 1 tbsp. tahini/sesame paste optional
- Handful of pomegranate seeds optional
- Salt as per taste
- Roast eggplant over low flame on stove or in oven until its cooked from all sides
- Keep it aside to cool.
- Once on room temperature,remove the charred skin and top of the brinjal.
- In a blender mash the eggplant along with all ingredients except pomegranate seeds.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds .
- Serve with pita bread,hummus,salad leaves, carrot & celery sticks.
Need more eggplant recipes? Try these for a great meal.
- Taryal vangan -Fried eggplant slices
- Guttivankaya kura -Stuffed brinjal curry
- Aloo baingan -easy eggplant curry
- Baingan ka bharta-Eggplant mash
Click here to see more recipe videos.