Taryal meaning fried and Vangan means baingan or brinjal in Sindhi. You will find many fans of this fried baingan recipe as it closely resembles brinjal tawa fry or tawa baingan which is generally served in weddings. Sindhi baigan are best cooked on cast iron.This delicious recipe is both vegan and gluten-free too.
Eggplant recipes are simple and easy to make. They need less cooking time too. Perfect for midweek dinners. You can easily grow them in the garden too. Hence, they are quite popular. This long brinjal recipe is very delicious and you can have it with some lentils. Eat it with flatbreads or rice whatever is the choice.
Try out our other Sindhi recipes that include Seyal Bhindi Patata-okra potato onion curry,Sindhi Toor dal Kadhi,Sindhi Dal poori recipe , Sindhi Aloo wadi, Singhi Aloo - drumstick potato curry, Sindhi Kutti , Karachi Halwa - Bombay Halva and our collection of Top Thadri & Saatam Aatham recipes
Italians also have it on pizzas which was quite a surprise when I first saw it on a restaurant menu. The more you travel, the more you learn and then you understand more. We can wait for pizzas but right now lets enjoy taryal vangan, basically a Sindhi style brinjal fry recipe. It is a super crisp aubergines slice with spicy middle.
Cast iron vs Carbon steel
Sauté the eggplant slices on a cast iron pan/tawa with minimum oil to avoid deep frying it. I am not a fan of non-stick. Cast iron or seasoned carbon steel work best. Carbon steel is lighter and gives similar results. It tastes best when made on cast iron & carbon steel. However, you should not sprinkle amchur/dried mango powder when on pan. Sprinkle it after you remove the slices. Sour things react with cast iron and carbon steel.
- large bowl
- deep skillet / cast iron pan / carbon steel pan
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- Dry mango powder
- Salt as per taste
refer to recipe card for exact quantities.
How to cook Sindhi baingan fry in a pan?
- Slice eggplant and soak it in salt water in a large bowl.
- Make incisions and squeeze excess water from them. This helps remove any impurities or bitterness. You may wipe them with kitchen paper towels optionally.
3. In a cast iron pan, heat oil and cook the slices evenly on both sides.
What are other eggplant fry Indian style?
You can adjust the spices according to your taste. Increase the chili powder or amchur as per your choice. Drizzle some lemon juice if you do not have dry mango powder handy. You can also sprinkle some garam masala powder if you like. There is also a similarity with Oriya and Bengali cuisine here. Taryal vangan is very similar to the Oriya baingan bhaja or Bengali begun bhaja. The only difference, we fry baigan in mustard oil after dipping in rice flour.
While this big brinjal recipe is a vegan pan-fried eggplant recipe Indian style, there is a non-vegan pan-fried eggplant parmesan recipe too. In South India, vankaya fry is or eggplant fry is also made with small brinjals, round ones. This masala brinjal fry is a great combination to serve with some rasam rice, curd rice or a large plate of sambar rice. We also make eggplant pakoras and also make stuffed eggplant curry or gutti vankaya kura at Telugu weddings.
Indian tawa baingan recipe is a great combination with moong ware chawal and any dal like sai bhaji or dal tadka. Generally, we eat it in dinner on hot summer nights. Although, these slices are vegan and gluten free, you can pair it with some curd or yogurt raita, aloo (smashed potatoes) or arbi tuk (fried taro) and mango slices. It is also a great curry when you travel long journeys in train or bus as it stays for long. Pair it with some fried poori, potato curry and achar.
You can store it for 1-2 days in refrigerator and reheat it before serving , although we suggest its best to eat fresh.
You can also make baingan fry in air fryer. Add it to couscous optionally to make an eggplant couscous salad.
Related big brinjal recipes & Sindhi recipes
Sindhi baingan recipe | baingan tawa fry recipe
- cast iron pan / carbon steel pan
- 2 large aubergine cut in round thick slices
- mustard oil / vegetable oil for frying
- Wash and cut a large aubergine or eggplant in thick round discs.
- Make shallow incisions on each slice.
- Soak them for 15-20 mins in salted water, drain the the excess water, keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil on a tawa or pan.
- Place all the slices on the pan and let it cook evenly on both the sides until they turn crispy.
They are high in anti-oxidants. Promote weight loss and also aid blood sugar control.
Yes, as long as you cook it first.
You may have intolerance to nightshades.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: fried brinjal slices are one of the most favorite recipes from Indian cuisine. It is an easy side dish with aromatic spices on deep fried large brinjal slices.