Eggplant recipes are simple and easy to cook. They need less cooking time too.Perfect for midweek dinners. You can have it with flatbreads or rice whatever is the choice.Taryal vangan is basically a Sindhi style brinjal fry recipe.It is a super crisp aubergine slice with spicy middle.
Taryal meaning fried and Vangan means baingan or brinjal. You will find many fans of this recipe as it closely resembles brinjal tawa fry which is generally served in weddings.Tale huye baingan are best cooked on cast iron. It is a vegan gluten free recipe.
Cast iron vs Carbon steel
Sauté the eggplant slices on a cast iron pan/tawa with minimum oil to avoid deep frying it. I am not a fan of non-stick.Cast iron or seasoned carbon steel work best. Carbon steel is lighter and gives similar results. It tastes best when made on cast iron & carbon steel. However, you should not sprinkle amchur/dried mango powder when on pan. Sprinkle it after you remove the slices. Sour things react with cast iron and carbon steel.
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- Dry mango powder
- Salt as per taste
How to cook Sindhi baingan fry in a pan?
- Slice eggplant and soak it in salt water.
- Make incisions and squeeze excess water from them. This helps remove any impurities or bitterness.
3. In a cast iron pan, heat oil and cook the slices evenly on both sides. 4. Sprinkle the spices and serve hot.
Read the taryal vangan recipe below:
Tariyal Vangan-Sindhi style brinjal fry
- cast iron pan / carbon steel pan
- 2 large aubergine cut in round thick slices
- Oil for frying
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur or dried mango powder
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and cut a large aubergine or eggplant in thick round discs.
- Make shallow incisions on each slice.
- Soak them for 15-20 mins in salted water, drain the the excess water, keep aside.
- Heat oil on a tawa or pan.
- Place all the slices on the pan and let it cook evenly on both the sides until they turn crispy.
- Keep these aside and sprinkle the spice mix on them,serve warm with moongal rice,potatoes,yogurt and papad.
You can adjust the spices according to your taste. Increase the chili powder or amchur as per your choice. Drizzle some lemon juice if you do not have dry mango powder handy.There is also a similarity with Oriya and Bengali cuisine here. Taryal vangan is very similar to the Oriya and Bengali recipe Baingan bhaja or Begun bhaja. The only difference, it is fried in mustard oil after dipping in rice flour.
While this brinjal fry is a vegan pan-fried eggplant recipe Indian style, there is a non-vegan pan-fried eggplant parmesan recipe too.
It is a great combination with moong ware chawal and any dal like sai bhaji or dal tadka. Generally, we eat it in dinner on hot summer nights. Although, these slices are vegan and gluten free, you can pair it with some curd or yogurt raita, aloo or arbi tuk (fried taro) and mango slices.
It is also a great recipe when you travel long journeys in train or bus. Pair it with some fried poori, potato curry and achar.
You can store this recipe for 1-2 days in refrigerator, although we suggest its best to eat fresh.
Need more eggplant ideas?
For more eggplant recipes, click on the below links:
Click here to read more curry recipes.
Also click here to watch more recipe videos on our YouTube channel.