Taryal vangan is a Sindhi style brinjal fry.This is a super crisp aubergine slice with spicy middle.You can adjust the spice according to your taste.Crispy fried eggplant is super yum.Eggplant recipes are simple.Easy to cook and takes less time too.Have it with flatbreads or rice whatever is the choice.This is a pan-fried eggplant recipe and is best cooked on cast iron.
It is an easy vegan and gluten-free vegetable side.Taryal meaning fried and Vangan means brinjal. It is a simple yet tasty dish.You can make it in a jiffy.
Generally, we eat it in dinner on hot summer nights.
This is a vegan pan-fried eggplant recipe Indian style.There is a non-vegan pan-fried eggplant parmesan recipe too which is widely loved in the west.
Cast iron and Carbon steel
Saute the eggplant slices on a cast iron pan/tawa with minimum oil to avoid deep frying it.I am not a fan of non-stick.Cast iron or seasoned carbon steel work best.Carbon steel is lighter and gives similar results.
It tastes best when made on cast iron & carbon steel.
However, you should not sprinkle amchur/dried mango powder when on pan.
Sprinkle it after you remove the slices.
Sour things react with cast iron so just a little tip for best results.
It is also a great recipe when you travel long journeys in train or bus.
Similarity with Oriya and Bengali cuisine
Tariyal vangan is very similar to the Oriya and Bengali recipe Baingan bhaja or Begun bhaja.
The only difference, it is fried in mustard oil after dipping in rice flour.
Ingredients for taryal vangan recipe
How to cook eggplant in a pan?
- Slice eggplant and soak it in salt water.
- Make incisions and squeeze excess water from them.
3. In a cast iron pan, heat oil and cook the slices evenly on both sides.
4. Sprinkle the spices and serve hot.
Read the taryal vangan recipe below:
Tariyal Vangan-Sindhi style brinjal fry
- 2 large aubergine cut in round thick slices
- Oil for frying
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp amchur or dried mango powder
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and cut a large aubergine or eggplant in thick round discs.
- Make shallow incisions on each slice.
- Soak them for 15-20 mins in salted water, drain the the excess water, keep aside.
- Heat oil on a tawa or pan.
- Place all the slices on the pan and let it cook evenly on both the sides until they turn crispy.
- Keep these aside and sprinkle the spice mix on them,serve warm with moongal rice,potatoes,yogurt and papad.
Click here to read more curry recipes.
Also click here to watch more recipe videos on our YouTube channel.