Delicious aloo baingan masala or the baingan aloo recipe is an easy dish to make. Eggplants are easy to grow in the garden. They come in abundance. Even if you do not own one, you can easily get them from the market. They are usually available all year round. There are many easy recipes you can cook depending on what cuisine you are looking at.
This potato eggplant curry is pretty easy to cook. You can easily finish cooking within 20 mins. Much needed in todays world. Baingan ki sabzi can be made with any type of aubergines. Long or small, green or purple. Chop them and make a quick stir fry. Plus this curry is both gluten-free & vegan recipe. No wonder Indian restaurants can cater to all diets and taste even with easy recipes. Hence they are very popular. You have something for everyone.
What are some great recipes that feature aubergines, also known as Eggplant as a main ingredient?
Eggplants are plentiful. Not just a recipe of aloo baingan, you can make many recipes from them. Be it a south Indian chutney or fry them crisp. Make a mash out of them or stir fry them. You can also make an amazing baingan bharta or make a taryal vangan. Make a stuffed eggplants South Indian style. Of course, you need time for that one. It is one of the curries that need some time but are totally worth it. If you are short on time, make a simple recipe of baingan aloo.
If you love your brinjals, you should try eggplants in savory curd some day. It tastes amazing. Another great recipe you should try is the baba ganoush. This Mediterranean mash resembles bharta a lot. Enjoy it with hummus, falafel and pita bread. It makes for a wonderful meal. Italians also put eggplants on pizzas. Some food for thought for all of us. Pizza is not just cheese.
Note: Pregnant women and in case of allergies, please consult with your medical practitioner before eating eggplants.
- Ginger, Garlic and green chillies chopped
refer to recipe card for details.
How to make aloo baingan?
- In a pan, heat mustard/vegetable oil. Add cumin, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
2. Add potatoes with salt.
3. Keep on cooking potato, until they are semi-cooked.
4. Now, add the eggplants with salt, green chillies, garlic & ginger to it and mix well.
5. Cook for 8-10 minutes ,add the spices to the pan. Mix them well.
6. Once the spices are cooked, add the chopped tomatoes to the pan.
7. Let it cook until the tomatoes soften. Add 2-3 spoons of water and cover the pan. Let it simmer.
8. Mix well. Serve hot with roti or rice.
Eggplant and potato curry | aloo baingan recipe
- steel saucepan
- 1 potato peeled and cubed
- 1 large eggplant/brinjal cubed
- 1 medium tomato cubed
- 2-3 tbsp. mustard oil or any vegetable oil
- In a pan, heat mustard oil. Add cumin, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add potatoes with some salt, let it cook on low flame
- Once the potatoes are semi cooked, add the eggplants with ginger,chilly & garlic to it and mix well.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, add all the spices to the pan and mix well. Let it cook until the rawness disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan, let it cook on slow flame
- Add ¼ cup water and let it cook until the tomatoes have soften and potatoes are cooked.
- Mix well. garnish with fresh coriander, Serve hot with roti or rice.
You can also customize this baingan ki sabzi according to your taste. There are different variations to this simple curry. Add chopped onions if you want. You may omit garlic if you find it too strong. Increase green chilies if you like your food spicier. Make it like a curry in a pressure cooker or make instant pot aloo baingan recipe by adding extra water. It is a little mushy but cooks fast. Some people even like to cook without tomatoes.
You can make this curry with baby eggplants too. Aubergine come in many colors white, green and purple. Long eggplants, globe eggplants. Chop the large eggplants if required to make your potato brinjal curry. You can also use a tbsp. ginger paste / ginger garlic paste instead of chopped ginger garlic. Similarly, you can use tomato puree instead of chopped tomatoes if you are in a rush.
Did you know the importance of brinjals in Indian cuisine?
No Telegu wedding is complete without the perfectly spicy bagharei baingan or gutti vankaya. This curry is quite nutty. It is also very spicy. The filling of peanuts enhances the flavor. Begun bhaja in Odia cuisine is strikingly similar to Sindhi taryal vangan. Only difference, round brinjal slices are dipped in rice flour and fried in mustard oil.
Punjabi Baingan ka bharta is also called Ringna No Olo in Gujarati. They serve it with some jaggery and millet flatbread. Eggplants are also added to Sindhi kadhi and even to Pav bhaji. Finely chopped brinjals make a great stir fry. Perfect for travel when eaten with poori.
Need more easy curry recipes? Click on the links below for great combinations with potato.
Yes, it freezes quite well. Defrost and heat before you consume.
Conclusion: If you are looking for a hearty vegetarian Indian curry to serve with roti or rice, look no further. Gluten-free potato eggplant curry is an easy dinner recipe which cooks real fast and needs less preparation.