Barley salad is an easy meal. Whether you want to detox after a heavy festive season or gear up for the upcoming new year. Salads help you ease out the meal plan and eat light. This traditional grain is quite versatile. You can make various dishes from it. Be it risotto or cereal, soup or stew. Our traditional food relied less on wheat and rice and more on millets and rightly so. You can use pearl barley or black barley as per your choice. However, nutrition wise, black is better. Pearl one is hulled so loses some benefits.
Adding a grain to chopped veggies gives it texture as well as balances the crunch. in India, salad is only garden salad in most restaurants. High end of course serve these types. However, not all visit high end ones.
Adding grains makes it much like a meal instead of a side dish. It makes you feel fuller. This way you do not miss eating roti/rice as there is some grain already within salad. Thus it is great option for weight-loss. After all, we all want to look good and feel confident. Have a pumpkin soup along with this bowl and complete your meal in minutes. Adding pickled onions and crunchy fresh baby tomatoes and capsicum/peppers gives it a great flavor. Once you start enjoying veggies as it is, you will love having a salad.
Benefits of barley:
- Barley helps you eat barely. Yes, it helps reduce hunger and makes you full faster.
- It is good for the gut as is full of soluble.
- It is rich in Vitamin B & E, Calcium, Iron and potassium.
- Improves metabolism and strengthens immunity.
- Good for reducing arthritis.
- Supports kidney and fights ageing.
Read the barley salad recipe below:
Black Barley salad
- 1/4 cup pickled onions
- 1/2 cup Corn kernels canned/boiled/steamed
- 1/2 cup black barley
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 4-5 Mini capsicums sliced
- 1/2 cup salad leaves
- Cook black barley in boiling water untill cooked,drain excess water
- Mix all ingredients,serve fresh
Click here to see more salad recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.