Refreshing salad is a great way to get all nutrients yet have a low calorie meal. Easy salad recipes are a perfect way to lose weight and gain good health too. Indian saints and sages have always emphasized on Yoga and eating healthy. sprouted lentils salad is a crunchy bowl of goodness. Kale lentil salad, tomato cucumber salad, Middle eastern salad are great ways of getting easy meals together on a weekday. I love making them for quick dinners after attending a sports class. A cup of lentils has amazing nutritional value which only increases after sprouting. This dish is both vegan, gluten free and full of protein. Less cook time, healthy ingredients, what more can you ask for?
You can either mix mung bean sprouts with other salad ingredients like sweet apples, pomegranate arils, sweet corn for added crunch and get variety of colors in your meal. Sprouted moong salad recipe can be customized as per your taste. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves, chaat masala, black salt on top . You may even up your Vitamin E by adding handful of pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries. Add a dash of lemon juice for extra vitamin C. Add some nuts for extra crunch. Serve them separately to in a large bowl as a Buddha bowl.
Top tip: If you want to eat moong bean sprout salad later, avoid mixing salt to the salad until you are ready to eat.
- muslin cloth / piece of cheesecloth
- mixing bowls
- mung beans moong+moth beans
- cherry tomatoes sliced
- apple/avocado diced(optional)
- lime juice / lemon juice
- cucumber sliced and diced
- pomegranate seeds optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
refer to recipe card for details.
How to make sprouts salad?
- Take the beans/lentils of your choice. I prefer mung beans(green lentils /brown lentils) with black chickpeas(kale chane).You need to wash them and soak them in cold water for 8-12 hours. Depending on the weather you may see them starting to germinate at different times, so keep on checking on them every 6-8 hours.
2. After soaking mung beans for 8-12 hours,they look like above. Add water if required to make sure there is enough water as they keep soaking water.
3. After 12-24 hours, they will start germinating ,move them to a colander or wrap them into a cloth. Keep them moist. You can run it through clean water if you like.
4. After 12-24 hours, sprouting process is complete and now they can be consumed, store the excess sprouts in the refrigerator.
Steam them until soft in a steamer or boil them in a pressure cooker for 1-2 whistles or enjoy them raw.
Variations - Buddha bowl.
Sprouts salad recipe in Buddha bowl is very much in thing for a healthy lunch.They are great mix and match of flavor in a serving bowl.However, such salads have been a part of old cultures like India and Asia since centuries
Buddha bowl is a vegetarian meal consisting of small portions of various foods served cold in a bowl. This may include grains, plant proteins, salads. Some people also call it glory or hippie bowls.They are very similar to poke bowls (fish bowls) but vegetarian.
You may also add fresh vegetables to this lentil salad recipe. Chopped red cabbage, red onion, green onions,red radishes, multicolored carrots, steamed shaved brussels sprouts can also be added to this healthy sprout salad .Other herbs that can be added are fresh parsley, fresh mint.You can also use left over lentil sprouts to make a lentil soup.
Top tip: Sprouting will take it longer when you are in cooler climate. Make sure you remove excess water to avoid a smelly sprout.
Why this is a healthy recipe?
Moong beans salad are an excellent source of enzymes and protein. They have very high levels of Vitamin A, D, C and E. They are a common ingredient in raw food diet. You can also germinate them easily at home. They are easy to digest and very good for weight loss. Black chickpeas also make a great combination with mung sprouts. Chana sprouts salad is a great way to add proteins in your diet.
You can enjoy them raw or steam them. Mix with different salad ingredients and raw veggies.
best part: sprout salad can be created with minimal ingredients and served at any party. Add a dash of feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, o&v kalamata olives for some variation.
- Reduce the serving and steam them in case you have IBS or suffer from acidity.
- Check with your medical practitioner prior to adding this to your meal.
- Pressure cook sprouts for easy digestion when giving to small kids.
Crunchy high protein Sprouted lentils Salad recipe
- muslin cloth
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup mung beans moong+moth beans
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 apple/avacado diced(optional)
- 2 tbsp. lemon Juice
- 1 cucumber sliced and diced
- ½ pomegranate seeds optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans for 10-12 hours in 3-4 cups of water.
- Transfer the beans to cotton/muslin cloth or colander and tie its ends diagonally.
- Place this in a warm and dry place.
- Keep them moist by running through ½ cup of water every 3-4 hours.
- Depending on the weather, germination process takes 1-2 days.
- Once the beans have germinated, you can eat them raw or steam them.
- Steam mung beans for 10-15 minutes(optional)
- Mix with rest of the ingredients.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Conclusion : Moong sprouts salad is a great way to include protein rich lentils in your diet. It is one of the best ways to eat healthy and yet restrict your calories.