Movies are never complete without a big tub of popcorn. I love a huge tub with a mixed bag of cheese salted and caramel popcorn. I can say both drive each other. However, one does miss that big cinema experience ,with net streaming. You can very well create the magic at your home. All you need is some popping corn and a bit of caramel. Also, we have seen people with bags of microwave popcorn. However, that contains a lot of oil and works out expensive too.
Making it this way, ensures it is fresh and healthy. Also, You do not need any fancy equipment for it. You don't even need a microwave. Heavy bottom pan or a best a pressure cooker works fine. I ditched my microwave around two years back. Happy with less radiation around.
Note: Not many people know pop corn is gluten-free except some bagged varieties. It is also a great relief for constipation as it is full of fiber. You can have loads of plain pop corn during pregnancy. It helps you with your gut and is a great snack too. However, it can be a choke to very young kids and infants.
Scroll below to read the recipe of caramel popcorn
Caramel Popcorn recipe
- 2 tablespoon butter/olive oil if vegan
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey/agave
- Pinch of salt
For cooked popcorn:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup popping corn
For popping corn:
- In a heavy bottom cooker/pot,add oil.Allow it get heated until you see the fumes coming out.
- To test, add 1 corn and see if it pops.
- Add the rest of the popcorn and cover it with a lid and lower the heat.
- It will start popping in few seconds, turn off the heat when popping stops or reduces to 1-2 pops in 2-3 seconds.
For caramel popcorn:
- Melt the butter in a small pan.
- Add honey & sugar along with a pinch of salt to it.
- Allow it to caramelize(turn dark brown but not burnt) on low heat.
- Add the mix to the cooked popcorn and mix well.Keep it aside for 2-3 mins.
- Serve with the choice of your beverage.
Low oil snacks
Looking for more healthy snacking recipes which are baked and low in oil too.
- Baked onion pakoras
- Homebaked French fries
- Baked samosa
- Baked farali chiwda
- Baked sweet potato chips
- Air-fried beetroot cutlets