Food is a huge part of our festivals. We prepare special dishes for Naivedyam and Prasad distribution. For example we make for Ganesh Chaturthi festival. You can make the traditional Ukadiche Modak. You can also make the khoya version of it, Mawa modak .Add any flavor to it like strawberry, kesar or Chocolate. Chocolate modak is especially a favorite with kids. You can also ask them to help while making it. This way they also imbibe the tradition and are excited to eat what they make.
Chocolate is such a versatile ingredient. However, it does give you a kick so you need to use it in moderation. As such chocolate doesn't have sugar but market variations do have lots of it. Making it at home ensures you can control the sweetness.
Importance of Ganesh Chaturthi festival
We pray to Lord Ganesha before any auspicious occasion. Ganeshotsava or Ganesh Chaturth is a 10 day long festival. We worship him across India. This festival is especially celebrated in Maharashtra. There are no words to express the electrifying atmosphere. It ends with the visarjan of Lord Ganesh idols in water body.
Step by step pictures of chocolate modak.
1.Start cooking the mawa on low flame.
2. Add powdered sugar to the mawa.
3.Mix until the sugar has mixed with the mawa.
4.Prepare the chocolate mix with cocoa, sugar and cream.
5.Add chocolate mix to the mawa.
6.Mix until there are no lumps in the mixture,shape them into desired moulds.
Scroll below for chocolate modak recipe
Chocolate Mawa Modak
For the mawa from scratch
- 1-½ cup milk powder
- ½ cup cream
- 2-3 tablespoon ghee
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar powdered
- 1-½ cup mawa
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ⅓ cup sugar powdered,as per taste
- Prepare the chocolate mix by mixing all ingredients(cocoa,cream and sugar)
- Add milk powder,cream and ghee to bowl,microwave for 2 minutes or steam the covered container for 10 minutes to make instant mawa.Refer recipe link in notes.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add ghee and mawa to it with powdered sugar
- Once its is mixed well,add the chocolate mix
- Cook on a low flame,while stirring continuously until the mixture has a semi solid consistency.
- Keep it aside to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled a bit,shape them into desired moulds/modak
- Garnish with dry cocoa(optional)
Looking for more traditional Marathi recipes?
Click here to see Youtube tutorial to make your own Ganpati idol.
Learn to make chocolate mawa modak using our Youtube tutorial.
Click here to see our top Ganesh Chaturthi recipes