Food is a huge part of our festive season. We prepare special dishes for Naivedyam and Prasad distribution. For example, we make for modak and besan laddu for Ganesh Chaturthi festival as it his favorite food. You can make the traditional rice flour modak with coconut jaggery stuffing steamed like a sweet dumpling . This is traditional ukadiche modak recipe. You can also make different types of modak using khoya or mawa.
Chocolate is such a versatile ingredient. However, it does give you a kick so you need to use it in moderation. As such chocolate doesn't have sugar but market variations do have lots of it. Making it at home ensures you can control the sweetness. This easy recipe will be quite a hit I am sure at your household too.
Importance of Ganesha Chaturthi festival
We pray to Lord Ganesha before any auspicious occasion. Ganeshotsava or Ganesh Chaturth is a 10 day long festival. We worship him across India. This festival is especially celebrated in Maharashtra. There are no words to express the electrifying atmosphere. It ends with the visarjan of Lord Ganesh idols in water body.
Market based mawa or homemade mawa using below ingredients
- milk powder
- sugar powdered
- sugar powdered, as per taste
refer to recipe card for details.
1. Heat mava on a low flame until it starts to crumble
2. Add powdered sugar to the mawa.
3. Mix until the sugar has mixed with the mawa.
4. Prepare the chocolate mix with cocoa, sugar and cream.
5.Add chocolate mix to the mawa.
6. Mix until there are no lumps in the chocolate mawa mixture , scraping the mixture from all sides of the pan. Shape them into desired moulds.
Serve at room temperature after drizzling some more cocoa powder on it optionally.
Store it in an air-tight container for up to a week in refrigerator.
You can use store based unsweetened mawa for this recipe too. Khoya is easily available in most sweet shops or Indian stores abroad. Adjust milk accordingly if it is dry.
Mawa modak recipes are easy modaks which can be made in delicious flavors .Add any flavor to it like strawberry, kesar , dry fruits modak or Chocolate. I love making peanut butter modaks with chocolate flavor too. Chocolate modak is especially a favorite with kids. You can also ask them to help while making it by shaping the modak mixture in the modak molds. Modak shape can be chosen big or small depending on the mold you have. This way they also imbibe the tradition and are excited to eat what they make.
Chocolate Mawa Modak | chocolate modak recipe
For the mawa from scratch
- 1-½ cup milk powder
- ½ cup cream
- 2-3 tablespoon ghee
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar powdered
- 1-½ cup mawa
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ⅓ cup sugar powdered,as per taste
- Prepare the chocolate mix by mixing all ingredients(cocoa,cream and sugar)
- Add milk powder,cream and ghee to bowl,microwave for 2 minutes or steam the covered container for 10 minutes to make instant mawa.Refer recipe link in notes.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add ghee and mawa to it with powdered sugar
- Once its is mixed well,add the chocolate mix
- Cook on a low flame,while stirring continuously until the mixture has a semi solid consistency.
- Keep it aside to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled a bit,shape them into desired moulds/modak
- Garnish your delicious chocolate modak with dry cocoa, optionally.
Devotees bring Ganpati home for 1.5 days, 3 days, 7 days, or 10 days during Ganesh chaturthi.
Always offer food and drink to him first. Devotees must cook sattvic food after washing and cleaning the house. Somebody should always be at home during the festival.