Dum aloo is a traditional curry in Kashmiri Pandit cuisine.
There is something special about Kashmiri food.Although nowadays,you hear only about wazwan there are many unique dishes which belong to the state.Be it Nuun chai or Nadier Palak.Veth Tsaman or the most commonly known Rajma curry.You can recreate the Kashmiri magic in the ambiance of the house even if you cannot visit it as much as you would like to.This baby potato recipe for chapathi is simple to cook.
Aloo or potato may be a foreign import to India.However, we use it in many different ways.Aloo recipes are plentiful.
You will find so many variations in curries with one common ingredient potato.
Stuff,bake,fry,curry and enjoy it just the way you like.
Each of us has our own favorite potato dish.Some people even make dum aloo biryani.But that recipe is for later.
Pair it with roti,rice or poori or eat it just hot from stove with some bread if you are lazy 🙂
Scroll below to read our easy Dum aloo recipe
- kadai/frying pan (traditional method)
- or air fryer for low oil version
- ½ kg baby potatoes
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- 1 green chillies
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup whisked yogurt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon powdered fennel seeds or saunf
- 1 tablespoon garam masala or you may optionally add whole spices-2-3 cloves,1 piece cinammon,1-2 green & 1 black cardamom
- salt as per taste
- 1.5 cup Water
- Garnish: Chopped coriander
For traditional method
- Steam baby potatoes till slightly soft and prick them.
- Sauté them in little oil along with salt. Keep it aside.
For low oil air fryer version
- Place the peeled potatoes in the air fryer basket after brushing 1- 2 teaspoon oil.
- Air fry them for 12-14 mins at 180 deg C and add them to the gravy as per the steps below.
- Heat oil, add ginger garlic paste and cumin seeds.
- Add tomato paste, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all spices ,cook for 5 minutes.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Add potatoes with 1.5 cup water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or poori.
Love potatoes? See more easy potato based curries here.
Click here to read more curry recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.