Singhi aloo is a drumstick potato curry.This is one of the simplest recipes.
It works great for lunch as well as for light dinner.It is full of nutrition and very good for health.
This curry is pretty common across south India and also with Sindhi community.We call it as Bhugal singhyun while Odia community calls is chuin aloo tarkari.Those who cannot relate to drumsticks,know it as moringa or muringakka.
You can pressure cook them if raw.Aloo drumstick curry is a very light curry.Thus,works great when you are sick.
You can also steam them if frozen.
Just saute,If you have them.If quantity is less,add it to lentils and make sambhar stew.
Benefits of Moringa
Drumstick is also called golden shower tree.It does shower us with vitamin C,calcium and Iron.
It is given specially to lactating mothers.
It also aids in digestion in young children.
Doctors also recommend it to fight cold and flu.
It also increases bone density.
It helps fight malnutrition and strengthen bones.
This tree is widely available even in drought affected areas.Hence you can find it even where water table is very low.You can use even the flowers and leaves of this tree.
There are some exotic curries from them.
I wish people planted this along the sidewalks.May be the homeless could use it.The tree anyway would need less work.
Ingredients of moringa curry
step -by-step pictures of the moringa curry recipe
Scroll below to read the Singhi Aloo recipe
Singhi Aloo-Drumstick Potato curry
- 4 Medium drumsticks pealed washed and cut into 2 inches pieces
- 2 Medium potato pealed washed and cut into cubes
- 4 Medium tomatoes pureed
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Grind the tomatoes, ginger and green chilies together.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker . Once hot add cumin seeds.
- Add potatoes and fry for 2 minutes,add the pureed tomatoes.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt.
- Cook till the oil separates.
- Add the drumsticks along with water enough just to cover everything.
- Cook for 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure is out, open and boil till you get the required consistency for the gravy.
- Garnish will coriander leaves and serve with roti/chapati or white/lemon rice.