If you wish to include a fast and simple method of incorporating a delectable plant-based protein to your dishes, then Indian tofu curry is the ideal dish for you. This vegan dish is filled with flavor and is a superb way to substitute your regular meat-based dishes.
If you like tofu, there are other vegan recipes with tofu that we like to make, such as Sticky tofu, air fried crispy tofu nuggets, tofu ramen, Tofu pulao, tofu chipotle bowl,Tofu pad thai. Firm tofu resembles paneer a lot unlike the soft crumbly tofu. Hence, it can be used to turn many vegetarian dishes to vegan, if you are using oil to temper.
Some people might actually confuse it for paneer, but the below image of the Indian tofu curry recipe, is not paneer 🙂 Tofu has grown on me slowly. It is just like cottage cheese, neutral in taste and takes up the flavor of the spices used. Thus, it helps you to make a new dish each time. Tofu is great for protein and low in calories. It is also soft so young kids and older generation can actually enjoy it. I love making vegan tofu curry recipes especially Japanese golden curry recipe, it is fully of flavor and umami!
As a first step, you will need to obtain some firm tofu, which can be found in many grocery stores. Divide the tofu into small cubes and either fry in a pan or bake until the exterior has a crispy texture. Subsequently, put the tofu to the side and make the curry sauce.
Generally, a combination of spices, vegetables, and coconut milk(optional) form the basis of a tofu curry sauce. Some common ingredients include onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, curry powder and chili powder. Gently fry the onions and garlic until they are tender, then incorporate the spices and tomatoes and keep cooking until everything is fragrant and soft. It is optional to add coconut milk, allowing everything to simmer for several minutes until the consistency of the sauce is thickened.
Once the curry sauce with tofu is made, add the tofu cubes and let the mixture simmer for a few additional minutes. The tofu can be combined with curry sauce and rice to create a satisfying and tasty meal.
You can prepare this recipe using frozen peas or fresh peas.
- Tofu pieces
- Pureed tomatoes
- Spices(curry powder,red paprika powder)
- Salt & Oil
- Green peas
Please refer to recipe card below for quantity and ratios
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped ginger, garlic to it. Add chopped onions with little salt and mix well.
Cook the onions until they are nice and brown. Now, add tomato paste to it along with some salt.
Cook for 8-10 minutes, until you can see little oil coming over the gravy. Add all the spices to the gravy and mix well.
Once the gravy has thickened and you can see oil on the top, that's when its ready.
Now, add water and allow to come to boil.
Add the tofu pieces and cook over medium heat.
Add the peas,let cook for few minutes and adjust the water as per your taste.
You can also make this curry in an instant pot. Add a teaspoon of garam masala and a dash of lemon juice if you like it as spicy curried tofu.
Coconut Tofu Curry: You can add coconut milk to the curry from the above recipe to make it more smooth and flavorful. You may use both light or full fat coconut milk as per your choice.
Spinach Tofu Curry: Add a bunch a chopped spinach leaves at the end of the cook in the above recipe.
Chickpea Tofu Curry: Add a can/1cup of cooked chickpeas instead of peas in the above recipe.
Vegan tofu curry
- deep pan
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander or cilantro,chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and Add ginger and garlic to it.
- Add chopped onions with little salt and mix well.Cook the onions until they are nice and brown.Now, add tomato paste to it along with some salt.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, until you can see little oil coming over the gravy.Add all the spices to the gravy and mix well.
- Add your curry powder, red chili powder. Keep stirring until the spices are mixed well.
- Stir well and let it come to a boil. Let it simmer for 5-6 mins until it is ready and all flavors come together. Once the gravy has thickened and you can see oil on the top, thats when its ready
- Add water , allow to come to boil.Add the tofu pieces.Add the peas,let cook for few minutes and adjust the water as per your taste.
- Serve hot with bread or rice.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have a good ventilation when cooking on a stove.