There is something comforting about ramen. It is perfect when you want something comforting. Whether it is heartbreak you are dealing with or just common cold (Oops! cold is not just light anymore, its got serious!). Anyway, it is one way I can actually enjoy tofu on a regular basis. Tofu ramen is perfect when I need something really really good!
My initial experience with tofu was quite disappointing as I was not aware on how it should taste, this was 10 yrs back. Now I love using tofu in many ways. Be it in eggless mayo or chocolate cake. It tastes perfect as non dairy paneer and can be used in curries, pulao and biryani as a replacement.
You can make air fryer sticky tofu (tastes divine!) or chipotle tofu when in mood for salad bowls. You can also use it in rice paper rolls or have an easy noodle soup with it. Air fried tofu Manchurian is also a great option if you miss your Indo-chinese fusion, chilli paneer/paneer Manchurian. My favorite is tofu and noodle recipe which is easy to cook during busy weeknights.
Benefits of tofu
- Good for protein.
- Low in calories.
- Helps lose weight and improve cardio-vascular health.
- Anti-inflammatory and great for fiber.
- chopper / vitamix blender
- Ramen Noodle/cakes (There are multiple option you can choose from.This can be even the maggi noodle cake, I prefer the baked option or I would choose a fresh noodle that is not deep fried.)
- green beans or any other veggie like red & green peppers
- Japanese curry blocks ( I prefer the golden curry blocks)
- firm tofu
- salt and optional seasoning(soup stock powder) as per taste
Boil noodles separately in water and strain it. Refer to packet instructions.
Strain the noodles using a sieve and drain excess water.
Heat oil and cook onion and veggies until they soften.
Add chopped carrots to it along with some salt.
Add chopped beans and mix well.Cook for further 5-7 minutes
Now, add tofu followed by the soup stock/seasoning.
In a separate saucepan, add curry block with water.
let it come to boil.
Add the broth to the pot and let it come to a boil.
Add cooked noodles to the veggies and mix well.
Let it come to a boil and simmer for few minutes until the noodles soak the flavor.
You may add any veggies of your choice like peas, cabbage, broccoli and onions to the one pot meal. You may also use any ramen of of your choice. Add chilli oil to make it spicy.
You may used fried noodle cake instead of baked ones. Some versions of Maggi for example use baked instant noodles while others use fried. Check your instant noodles packet for reference.
Store tofu block as per the guidelines on the packet if you have some unused. You can always store your ramen and eat it the next day. Ensure you heat before consuming left overs.
Use tofu within the expiry date on the packet. If it smells rancid, discard immediately.
Tofu ramen recipe | Vegan ramen
- 2 packet noodles (baked, some are fried, check your packet for a low calorie version)1 noodle packet weighed 80gms approx
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 medium onion
- ½ tablespoon ginger
- ½ tablespoon garlic
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup green beans cubed
- 100 gm firm tofu cubed
- 2 Japanese curry blocks prefer the golden curry blocks
- 2 cups water for the curry blocks,adjust water as per your needs.
- Boil ramen separately and strain it. Refer to packet instructions.
- Strain the noodles using a sieve and drain excess water.
- Heat oil and cook onion with ginger ,garlic
- Add chopped carrots to it along with some salt.
- Add chopped beans and mix well
- Now, add tofu followed by the soup stock powder or any seasoning.
- In a separate saucepan, add curry block with water.
- let it come to boil
- Add the broth to the pot and let it come to a boil.
- Add cooked noodles to the veggies and mix well.
- Let it come to a boil and simmer for few minutes until the noodles soak the flavor. Serve hot.
Yes firm tofu works great. You need to add to pot and let it come to a boil. Soft tofu also works so use depending on the texture you like.
Yes as it has no saturated fats and cholesterol.