Gobi Manchurian or chilli gobi is one yummy dish.It is an Indo-Chinese starter when you make it dry.This dry gobi 65 recipe is a must for parties.Make a gobi manchurian gravy with noodles or with fried rice.Baked gobi manchurian makes this snack a notch better.You can enjoy the fast-food without the calories.No compromise on health,while you enjoy the taste.
There is no dearth of cauliflower recipes.Roast it,fry it,curry it or stuff it. You will love aloo gobhi as much as cauliflower pickle.Cauliflower salad will entice you as much as cauliflower pizza. Indo-Chinese twist to this veggie gives it a meaty flavor.Kids love it and so do we.It is great way to eat cauliflower.You can make gobi manchurian shallow fry or bake it, instead of deep frying them.This helps cut calories and make you less guilty.
Making it at home ensures there is no MSG.Ajinomoto or MSG is not good for health.
Indo-Chinese fusion cuisine
Indo-Chinese is a fabulous fusion cuisine.You will find many carts on the beach and at tourist spots.This starter is one of the easiest appetizers, you can make at home.This is a particular crowd favorite.Both vegetarians and meat lovers love it.You may make it drier, which goes better with Hakka Noodles. Let the gravy be for fried rice.Both are pretty good.I like the drier version better. Add a veg manchow soup to the menu and your treat is just perfect
All vegetarian versions except paneer one are vegan versions.You can also make manchurian with chicken or tofu.
Who invented Manchurian?
Many sources suggest it was Nelson Wang -Indian restaurateur of Chinese descent who first made chicken manchurian at Kemps corner neighbourhood.
Baked gobi manchurian step-by-step
Read the Baked Gobi Manchurian recipe below:
Baked Gobi Manchurian
- 400 gms fresh cauliflower
- 2-3 tablespoon corn flour/tapioca starch/arrowroot
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2-3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet & sour sauce replace with ½ tablespoon vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar
- Onion 2 cup,sliced
- Green capsicum 1 cup,sliced
- Red capsicum 1 cup,sliced
- Celery 1 cup,sliced
- Green onion 1 cup,sliced
- 1 tablespoon sliced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1 tablespoon green chilly chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Steam the florets for 5-10 mins.
- Mix cornflour,salt and red chilli powder
- Dust the florets in cornflour powder evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute' cauliflower florets for 3-4 minutes.(or line them on a grill tray(refer steps pic and spray them with oil, bake at 160 degree C ,fan forced for 20-25 minutes)/ Or you may fry them in oil to get a more crispier version
- Keep it aside.
- In the pan,heat the oil and add sliced ginger, garlic and onions.Mix well.
- Add green and red capsicums along with salt and saute' till they soften.
- Add soy sauce,tomato sauce,vinegar,red chilly powder and sugar to this vegetable mix followed by green onions.
- Mix well with a spatula and let it cook on low flame.
- Add the cauliflower florets to this mix and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with chilly/tomato sauce.
Looking for great starters? Try these recipes
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.