Raw banana cutlets / kacche kele ki tikki are very crispy patties. It reminds me of schnitzel except that contains eggs. These are vegan and gluten free. It is a popular snack or one time meal. Having raw banana cutlet during fasting in India ensures enough energy with minimal spices. You can have them with a dollop of tomato sauce, green chutney or tamarind or date chutney. If you like to be versatile, serve it like a salad with pickled veggies and lettuce.
Home parties are hectic. Especially with kids. However, you can always plan for food. Steam raw banana and potatoes previous day. Mash them with spices and make the patties. Wrap the plate with a cling film and keep it in freezer. Fry or air fry it fresh when guests arrive next day.Serve it along with sago cutlets or samosa. You can serve it with date chutney if on fasting for Navratri and Sawan fasting. Learn to make this easy banana patty recipe here.
- mixing bowl
- cast iron pan
- food processor
- steamer/ pressure cooker/ instant pot
- steamed raw bananas (steamed for 15-20 minutes or until they can be peeled easily))
- boiled potatoes
- dried mango powder (amchur)
- fresh green chillies, chopped
- ginger ,chopped or ginger paste
- Rock salt as per taste
- Oil for frying or air frying
Instructions for raw banana cutlets in airfryer
Peel the bananas and potatoes, Mix all ingredients in bowl. You may use a food processor to mix these ingredients if the banana is little hard .
Shape them into small patties, allow them to rest in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours
Cooking tips: You can cover prepared cutlets with cling film or parchment paper and save for later in the baking tray. This results in a crispy crust too.Using a cast iron pan results in very crisp tikki if you do not own an air fryer.
In a pre-heated air fryer (5 minutes at 190C), place the cutlets in the airfryer. Brush oil and cook for 17-19 minutes @190C/375F
Brush oil once in between and flip over once during the cook.
Once done ,serve them with warm with any chutney of your choice,
Instructions to cook banana cutlets in pan
Heat oil on flat iron pan. Add raw banana tikkis to it & cook on low/medium flame until golden brown on both sides.
Substitution and variations
You can also make these South Indian banana potato cutlet in an oven too. Cooking time will vary.
If you are not fasting, you may add red chilli powder, chopped coriander leaves, coriander powder and gram flour as a variation to this healthy snack. You can replace dried mango powder with lemon juice. You may add ginger garlic paste if you do not have fresh ginger at home. If you want to coat it, you may use amaranth flour, bread crumbs or soaked bread slices as a binding agent.
Raw banana cutlet recipe |south Indian Vazhakkai recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Food processor
- steamer / pressure cooker/ instant pot
- 2 raw bananas Steam for 15-20 minutes or until you can peel them
- 2 medium potatoes boiled
- 2 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1 green chilies finely chopped,optional
- 1 piece ginger finely chopped
- Rock salt as per taste
- Oil for frying or airfryer.
- Peel the bananas and potatoes, Mix all ingredients in bowl. You may use a food processor to mix these ingredients if the banana is little hard .
- Make small cutlets out of the mix. Allow them to rest in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
In air fryer
- In a pre-heated airfryer (5 minutes at 190C), place the cutlets in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Brush oil and cook for 17-19 minutes @190C/375F
- Brush oil once in between and flip over once during the cook.
To cook in a pan
- Heat oil on flat iron pan.
- Add cutlets to it & cook on low/medium flame until light brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with mint chutney
I love banana chips, fritters and kofta made from bananas. Some people also dehydrate & fry sweet bananas.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Conclusion : Air fryer recipes like plantain cutlets help you enjoy snacking without worrying about calories. It is a crunchy snack which is perfect a cup of tea or cup of coffee. These delicious cutlets are a tasty tiffin recipe for kids too who seldom get constipated. Raw bananas are great source of dietary fiber and helps avoid digestive problems. They also help regulate blood sugar level and hence good as fasting recipes.