Lentils are great for proteins. However,you do not need to make a soup or dal each time you want to enjoy it. There are many other dishes you can make like halwa, dhokla,vada and paratha. Dal ka parantha is one such flatbread .It is one of the tastiest breakfasts made from left over dal recipes.Most of you might have heard about aloo ka paratha, gobi ka paratha but dal ka paratha is also just as amazing.Serve it with some tangy nimbu ka meetha achar and it tastes heavenly in a tiffin.
You can make it from any dal you might have cooked for dinner. Just heat it until water evaporates and stuff it. Else strain it if you are in a hurry.
The below recipe is to make it daal roti from scratch. Similarly you can make left over khichdi paratha also.
You can make it for dinner or brunch or just have it for breakfast with ketchup.
Dal paratha is a unique breakfast. It is a protein-rich stuffed flatbread which is best served with mint chutney. If not vegan, serve it with a dollop of butter & bowl of yogurt. Also, a good way of using left over dal from earlier dinner.
The stuffing of lentils makes it full of nutrients. This is an alternative to eating fried kachori in the breakfast. The stuffing of both mung dal kachori and paratha are the same.
However, this flatbread uses less oil.
Both the kachori and parantha are traditionally served as breakfast in large parts of north India .
Especially on Sunday, this is a lazy brunch menu.
You eat it hot and and then relax to have a late lunch.
Step by pictures for the stuffing for dal ka paratha
Step by pictures for the stuffed dal paratha
read the dal ka paratha recipe below
Dal ka paratha - Mung dal stuffed flatbread
- 1 cup moong dal soaked for few hours in water
- 1 teaspoon amchur dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon green chillies
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bunch of coriander chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder optional
for flatbread dough
- wholemeal flour
- salt as per taste
- water to knead a soft dough
- oil to cook the breadbread
- Makes 9-10 paratha
- Boil the mung dal for 15-20 minutes or until soft,do not overcook it.
- Drain the excess water and allow to cool down.
- Heat oil,add ginger & chillies,saute for few minutes.
- Add the cooked dal with spices,cook for few minutes,turn off the heat.
- Knead a soft dough,roll a portion of dough into a small round flatbread
- Add 2 tablespoon of stuffing and gently close from all ends.
- Roll it slowly into a stuffed flatbread
- Cook on an iron pan using 1 teaspoon oil on both sides
- Serve hot with mint chutney if vegan or with some yogurt raita.
Click here to see bread recipes.
Also, click here to see recipe videos.