Lentils are easy to cook. They are great for protein too. Fills your tummy and helps you sleep better. Simple food can help you survive harshest of lockdowns. It also makes you stronger. Lentils have been around for ages. Most people think about yellow dal tadka and dal makhni when you order out. However, there are a lot of other lentil recipes you can cook.
Some lentils are made with combining few lentils like the tridali dal where 3 lentils are cooked together. Panchmel dal which is served in dal baati. Other interesting recipes are whole mung bean dal and Chilke wali moong dal .Sabut moong dal or green gram curry recipe is also called as cherupayar curry. It is easy to cook and tastes great with both rice and roti. Both of them are easy recipes and serve as a complete meal with rice or roti on a weeknight.Other vegan dishes that I like include vegan dal makhani ,curry , plum chutney ,garlic knots , pumpkin lentil curry ,easy thai curry , chickpea korma curry , vegan carrot dogs , chana dal recipe & potato curry recipe.
Whole moong dal can be soaked in hot water if you are in a hurry. It is a perfect way to end a hectic day. Cooks while you unwind. Just make some basmati rice to go with it. You can also pair it with some roti. Dinner is served people! These days I just want to cook minimal in the kitchen. Especially on a weeknight. If you have people coming over, make some aloo methi or baby potatoes to go with it. I love some potatoes as a side. Generally, saayi dal is served with rice or roti. A big basket of fried rice khichiya, rice papad, fryums, potato chips & papad also compliments it.
Green moong dal nutrition
Moong dal protein count is very high.100gms of uncooked dal contains around 24 grams of protein.
2 ( approx 200gms) cups of cooked moong dal contain close to 16 grams protein. Its a good source of potassium and fiber too.
You can also use slow cooker or instant pot to make this lentil recipe. You can also make it in a deep sauce pan. However, it will take much longer to cook in a saucepan.
- green gram/ whole green moong lentils (soaked for 4 hours/overnight in water )
- cumin seeds
- Ginger,green chillies
- Spices(curry powder, red paprika)
- Coriander/cilantro (for garnish)
How to make green moong dal recipe?
- In a pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add chopped chilli, ginger and onions.
2. Let it cook until onions are browned.
3. Now, add the chopped tomatoes or tomato puree and salt. Cook until they soften
4. Mix well and let it cook for 5 mins.
5. Add spices and mix well.
6. Mix well and let it cook until you see gravy coming together.
7. Add the soaked green gram lentils, after discarding water and mix well.
8. Add water and mix well. Let it come to a boil.
Cover and cook until the lentils are soft and start breaking apart.(around 30-35 minutes)
9. You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
You can adjust the heat of the lentils according to your taste. Add more red chili powder if you like it spicy. If you like it bland, use paprika instead of red chilli powder. Add a teaspoon garam masala if you like it.
You can also cook any vegan mung bean recipes this way. If you are a vegetarian, you can use ghee in tempering or add it in the end. Onions take longer to cook and might stick to pressure cooker if you use less ghee.
You can make this curry in a pressure cooker, instant pot and even a slow cooker.
Left over lentils can be stored in a box in a refrigerator for 2-3 days. However, it is best to eat it fresh or the next day max.
What is special about green gram?
It is rich source of fiber and has zero fats in it.
Yes it has low glycemic index and is good for diabetics too.
green moong lentils | green moong dal recipe
- 1 cup whole moong dal soaked for 4 hours/overnight in water
- 4 cups water or more for cooking
- 1 medium onion small
- 2 medium tomatoes medium
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. green chilly chopped,optional
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- salt as per taste
- In a pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add the ginger, chopped chilly and mix well
- Now add the chopped onions. Let it cook until onions are pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until they soften.
- Add the spices and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the soaked moong beans with water.
- Cover and cook until the lentils are soft and start breaking apart.(around 30-35 minutes)
- You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
- Always keep the kitchen ventilated.
- Reheat your food leftovers before consumption. Discard if it tastes rancid or smells bad.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
Please share your inputs..