Paneer tikka masala is a dish full of flavor. Best paired with a garlic naan or a tandoori roti. You can serve the paneer tikka as a starter and later serve some of the paneer cubes as the curry. Both are wonderful dishes with a fan-following of their own. There is something so magical about this dish that everyone says yes immediately after looking at it,in the restaurant menu. Trust me, you are impressing most of the guests by making tikkas in the starter.
These days you can get the paneer block even in Costco. Another good thing is it does not contain animal rennet. It is made by adding citrus juice to warm milk. Hence it is light. This makes it different from cheese like mozzarella,Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Pecorino Romano ,Gruyere ,Camberbert etc where animal enzymes are added.I always check the cheese ingredients and try to avoid these types where animal rennet is added abroad.It can be used to make various dishes too. Make an appetizer like pakoras for the start or make a paratha for breakfast.You can make a restaurant style curry like bhurji or matar paneer for mains.Use it to make baked cheese cake or chenna poda, rasmalai, rasgulla.
Benefits of Cottage cheese
It is a great way of having proteins. It is rich in vitamin D something vegetarians always have to worry about.It is great for gut as it is a good probiotic.It promotes heart health and brain health too.Always good to eat especially when it is fresh.
How to make cottage cheese at home?
Best part is you can make chenna or fresh cottage cheese easily at home. Follow the below steps to see how it is made at home
- Boil milk.
- Add some apple cider vinegar or teaspoon lemon juice to it. Let it coagulate. You can increase the juice/cider according to the quantity of milk to get fresh chenna.
- Strain it with a Sieve or muslin cloth. Easy peasy!
- Keep the chenna in the muslin or soft cotton cloth and keep under some heavy kitchen vessel to let it solidify. I use a spring form cake tin to keep the cottage cheese (in the cotton cloth) in the cake tin without the base first, then add the base,add a box on top of the base, then add some weight.I will take the picture of this arrangement next time and share it here.
Refer to our details post on making paneer at home here
To cook paneer tikka masala dhaba style, you will need the dry Paneer tikka prepared. Read our recipe to make this .Apart from this you will need to make the paneer tikka masala paste or the paneer tikka masala gravy.
- dahi/ hung curd/ Greek yogurt
- ghee or oil
Tikka masala spices
- garam masala
- ginger-chilli paste
- red chilly powder
- coriander powder
- cumin powder
- turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
For garnish: chopped coriander leaves and kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- Oven/Air fryer (for tikka)
- Frying pan
- Blender(for fresh tomato puree)
How to make paneer tikka masala ?
- Heat oil over medium flame in a pan. Add ginger, chilly and finely chopped onion with salt. Cook until brown.
- Add the tomato puree to the onion and cook for few minutes
- Once the tomato has dried out a bit,add the spices and mix well.
- Add yogurt and cook for few minutes until the sauce comes together
- Keep stirring and add 2 cups of water.
- 5. Let it come to a boil and add the cottage cheese cubes to it.
- Garnish it with kasoori methi and chopped coriander leaves optionally.
- Serve with roti bread or naan bread
Read the tandoori paneer masala recipe below
Tikka paneer masala recipe
- 400 gms Paneer tikka (refer to recipe in instructions)
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 2 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes pureed
Paneer tikka gravy recipe
- Heat oil in a pan,Add ginger,chillies and finely chopped onion with salt,cook until brown
- Now add tomatoes puree and let it cook until its little dry.
- Add spices and cook until oil oozes out.
- Add yogurt,cook for few minutes and add 2 cups of water.
- Cook until it starts boiling.
- Add paneer tikka cubes with capsicum and stir well.
- Cover and Cook for 10 minutes,turn off the heat.
- Adjust the amount of water as per the taste. Also the gravy will thicken a bit when left to stand for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with tandoori naan or roti.
For vegan tikka : Make a tofu tikka and use vegan yogurt along with oil in the curry.
Non-vegetarian: If you like your chicken tikka, you can make a chicken tikka masala in the same fashion. Cooking time will change according to the core ingredient.
- Add red chilli powder or more green chillies if you like a spicier recipe. You may also add ginger garlic paste or increase a teaspoon garam masala according to your taste.
- You may also increase bell peppers/capsicums in the recipe if serving to more people. Just add after onions.
- You may use paprika/ Kashmiri red chilly powder if you like a milder version.
- Another variation you can do with the recipe of paneer tikka masala is to use Tofu instead of paneer.
- You may add less water to the gravy if you want to make the paneer tikka masala dry recipe
You can make the curry and freeze a batch. Make fresh tikka and add to gravy whenever you wish to eat this recipe mid-week.
Yes as it is a good source of vitamin D and proteins.
It is an excellent source of calcium so helps avoid osteoporosis.Promotes hair growth and is good for gut health as it is a probiotic.
Try more simple cottage cheese recipes:
Also, click here for more recipe videos.