No mention of Mumbai is complete without its street food and stock exchange. Mumbai is a city of dreams. They say time is money here and rightly so. In this fast pace, people love having quick bites. They travel long distances to work and need a quick refill. You will find amazing places to eat be it cheap street food or high end bistros. Street food especially at Khau galli is quite difficult to resist. Pav Bhaji,vada pav, misal pav, bhelpuri, sevpuri dahi puri the list is endless. After all, food brings us together for hunger has no color or race.
This dish is a yummy and plentiful. Basically, we serve a vegetable mash with buns or pav bread. Use your leftover veggies in the gravy. When we were kids it was a must, during birthday parties.
You can also add any veggies which kids may hate to eat as it is. Be it brinjals, gourds, cauliflowers. You can make it vegan or as well as Jain version (no onion no garlic). Some people love to garnish it with extra butter or heaps of cheese. You may buy the buns from a local bakery or make it at home. We can also make pav bhaji no potato, I add bottle gourd instead.
How to make the recipe?
1. Chop all vegetables.
2. Boil hard vegetables potatoes, carrots and beetroots for 15 mins with 3-4 cups of water.
3. Now, add broccoli and capsicums and let it come to a boil.
4. Now add chopped cabbage to it.
5. Cover and cook on slow flame until all vegetables are soft.
6. Mash the boiled veggies it using a blender or potato masher, keep it aside.
Read the Pav bhaji recipe
- 2 carrots cubed
- 1 large potato peeled,cubed
- 2 capsicums( red+ green) chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled,cubed
- 1 small beetroot peeled,cubed
- 2 cup cauliflower/broccoli florets
- 2 cup cabbage
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 2-3 tablespoon oil/butter
- 3 tsp. ginger/garlic/chilli paste
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 2-3 tsp. pav bhaji masala
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander,lemon,butter for garnish
- Chop all vegetables for the pav bhaji. Boil hard vegetables potatoes, carrots and beetroots for 15 mins with 3-4 cups of water and salt
- Now, add broccoli and capsicums and let it come to a boil.
- Add chopped cabbage to it. Cover and cook on slow flame until all vegetables are soft.
- Mash the boiled veggies it using a blender or potato masher,keep it aside.
- Heat oil/butter in a pan, add onions,ginger,garlic and chilli,saute until onions are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes with spices, let it cook for few minutes.
- Add chopped tomato onion mix along with peas,to the boiled mash. Let it simmer for 15 mins.
- Garnish with coriander,lemon and butter.
- Toast buns on a pan for best results and spread some butter on it.Serve pav with yummy bhaji
Try these interesting snack ideas for that Marathi khau gully experience
Click here to see more appetizer recipes.
Also click here to see more recipe videos.