Spicy Misal Pav is street food delicacy in Maharashtra. Tangy sour and spicy snack. Nowadays, many office canteens serve it for breakfast. Although it is street food, it is quite healthy. Actually, a great way of having matki sprouts instead of making a cold salad. The best part is the Indian street food recipes for pani puri ,bhelpuri, misal etc can be adjusted according to taste and even made healthier. Chaat need not be junk it can be healthy too. Here, we serve spicy curry along with 'Pav' or 'Laadi' or Bun. You can buy buns from the market. However, I love baking them. Click here to learn how to make pav. This misal recipe consists of steamed 'Matki Usal' or moth beans and 'watane' white peas.
You can find people relishing this spicy meal with drinks at Mumbai beaches. Both Juhu and Girgaum chowpatty are filled with stalls full of street food. There are slight variations to this simple recipe depending on the place. For example, Puneri misal is slightly different from Kolhapuri which doesn't contain Poha or rice flakes. Mamladar Misal served in and around Thane is much spicier.Dahi misal is served with yogurt to enhance its flavor. You can enjoy this at any Jhunka Bhakar kendra. These food stalls help vendors from poor financial background make a living.
What do you serve with misal pav?
Serve misal masala hot. Add a dash of lemon, finely chopped onions, some mixture farsan, poha/rice flakes for some vegan curry magic. Those who love yogurt, even add some beaten curd and even potatoes.
- Tomato puree
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Garam masala
Garnish: Coriander leaves, chopped onion and lemon juice
How to make misal pav?
1.Wash the sprouts and drain the excess water. Keep it aside.
For Sprouted bean curry
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic and chillies. onions to it. Let it brown. 2. Add tomato puree and cook for 8-10 mins. 3. Add the spices and cook until the oil oozes out. 4. Mix well and add 2 cups of water.Let it come to a boil. 5. Add sprouts to it and cook until the liquid is reduced to half. 6. Serve with extra namkeen, pav, raw onions and a teaspoon lemon juice.
Read the spicy misal pav recipe below
Spicy Misal Pav recipe
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ginger garlic,green chillies(1 teaspoon each)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander pdr
- 2 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 2 cups sprouted moth beans
- Mix namkeen/fried indian snack for serving
Garnish: Coriander,chopped onion and lemon juice
- Wash the sprouts and drain the excess water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic and chilly, onions to it. Let it brown.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 8-10 mins.
- Add spices & cook for 5 minutes or until oil oozes out of the curry.
- Mix well and add 2 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Now, add sprouts to it and cook until the liquid is reduced to half.
- Cover and cook until water has reduced by half.Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with mix namkeen,coriander,juice and raw onions.Serve it with Pav or buns/Bread/Roti.
Add more green chilly or red chilly powder for a spicier misal.
Blender(if not using canned tomato puree)
Need more easy vegan snack ideas?
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.