Spicy Misal Pav is street food delicacy in Maharashtra. Tangy sour and spicy snack. Nowadays, many office canteens serve it for breakfast. Although it is street food, it is quite healthy. Actually, a great way of having sprouts instead of making a cold salad. The best part is the recipe for pani puri ,bhelpuri, misal etc can be adjusted according to taste and even made healthier.Chaat need not be junk it can be healthy too.
Here, we serve spicy curry along with 'Pav' or 'Laadi' or Bun. You can buy buns from the market. However, I love baking them. Click here to learn how to make pav.
This misal recipe consists of steamed 'Matki Usal' or moth beans and 'watane' white peas.
What do you serve with Misal Pav?
Serve it hot. Add a dash of lemon, chopped onions, some mixture farsan, poha/rice flakes for some vegan curry magic. Those who love yogurt, even add some beaten curd and even potatoes.
You can find people relishing this spicy meal with drinks at Mumbai beaches. Both Juhu and Girgaum chowpatty are filled with stalls full of street food. There are slight variations to this simple recipe depending on the place. For example, Puneri misal is slightly different from Kolhapuri which doesn't contain Poha or rice flakes.
Mamladar Misal served in and around Thane is much spicier.
Dahi misal is served with yogurt to enhance its flavor.
You can enjoy this at any Jhunka Bhakar kendra. These food stalls help vendors from poor financial background make a living.
Scroll below to read the Spicy misal pav recipe
Spicy Misal Pav - Sprouted beans curry
- 2 tbsp oil
- ginger garlic,green chillies(1 tsp each)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander pdr
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sprouted beans
- Mix namkeen/fried indian snack for serving
Garnish: Coriander,chopped onion and lemon juice
- In a pan ,add oil,ginger,garlic and chillies.
- Add Onion,cook until brown.
- Now add tomato puree & cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add spices & cook for 5 minutes or until oil oozes out of the curry.
- Add the sprouted beans with 1 liter of water.
- Cover and cook until water has reduced by half.Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with mix namkeen,coriander,juice and raw onions.Serve it with Pav or buns/Bread/Roti.
Need more easy breakfasts?
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.