Vegetable puffs and wonder years. This is a snack filled with nostalgia and smiles. Our childhood is a full of food, fun and frolic. All of us as children, loved going to bakery and pestering our parents to get snacks. First of all, bakery had fresh snacks and mostly sold out by end of the day. Also back then, these hot spicy buns, veggie puffs were our fast food.
Veg puff pastry is also known as vegetarian curry puffs abroad. These were also called as veg patties although now I understand patty actually means a potato cutlet .Back then, there were no takeaways or mobile apps. Indian curry puffs were traditionally baked in small ovens and reheated and given whenever someone asked for it. However, you can always make this yummy appetizer in your air fryer. Do the baking at your convenience using any store-bought puff pastry sheets. These along with vegetable pasties come out perfect in an air fryer. Learn to make it here.
Why are vegetable puffs so popular?
Vegetarian puff recipe is a vegan take on meat puffs. They are easily available across bakeries in Indian sub-continent. This is due to huge non-meat eating population either due to religious or health reasons. Some other Indian recipes with puff pastry dough are vegetable samosas, pin wheels, egg puffs.
Crunchy and crispy puffs can contain a filling of may kinds. You may make a soft filling of potatoes, peas, groundnuts and spices. Add carrots and shredded cabbage. You may even make it with some onions and soaked mung beans. This is opposite to non-vegetarian counterparts which has a filling of chicken, beef, meat, minced to make 'keema'.
- air fryer
- oil spray
- store-bought pastry puff sheets/ homemade pastry sheets
- potatoes (boiled, peeled and chopped)
- cumin seeds
- olive oil / vegetable oil
- curry powder
- garam masala powder
- salt and paprika or red chilli powder as per taste
refer to recipe card for details.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add chopped onions and ginger to it. Cook until they are pink.
2. Add chopped potatoes to it and mix it well. Cover and cook until they are soft over low flame.
3. Add curry powder(or seasoning of choice), garam masala,salt, and paprika to it.
4. Mix well.
5. Add fresh or frozen peas to it and mix well cooking them for 5-6 minutes more. Switch off the mixture to cool, once done.
6. Thaw the frozen pastry sheets for 5 minmutes & add the filling to it. Apply water along the edges. Fold to make triangles or squares pressing the edges together.
7. Preheat the air fryer at 200 C| 390 F for 10 mins. Place the veg puffs in the air fryer basket.
8. Air fry the vegetable curry puffs for 12-14 mins at 200 C| 390 F after spraying oil on it or until they are golden brown
9. Taken them out, once they are done.
Serve your bakery style veg puffs hot with tomato ketchup.
You can use ginger garlic paste if you do not have finely chopped ginger. You can adjust the red chili powder or green chili according to your taste. Add some coriander powder if you like.
You can add some cheese or chopped green beans, while making the filling to store made puff pastry sheets. You can also make this recipe in a preheated oven if you do not own an air fryer. Cooking time will increase by 30%.
Store frozen puff pastry sheets in freezer. You can make the filling whenever you got extra boiled potatoes. Once the puffs are ready, they can be refrigerated for 3-4 days in an airtight container. You can freeze uncooked curry puffs in a tray after covering them in a cling film. This comes handy especially when you have unexpected guests coming at short notice or when you have a snack craving anytime.
Always reheat your left over curry puffs before consumption.
air fryer Vegetable puffs | air fryer veg puff recipe
- oil spray
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add chopped onions and ginger to it. Cook until they are pink over a medium flame.
- Add chopped potatoes to it and mix it well .Cover and cook until they are soft over low flame.Mash them coarsely with masher
- Add curry powder, salt, and paprika to it.Mix well.
- Now, add frozen peas to it and mix well. Keep aside.
- Thaw the frozen pastry sheets(for 5 minutes) & add the filling to it. Apply water along the edges to seal them. Fold to make triangles or squares pressing the edges together. Repeat for all the filling.
- Preheat the air fryer at 200 C| 390 F for 10 mins. Place the curry puffs in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the puffs for 12-14 mins at 200 C| 390 F after spraying oil on it or until they are golden brown
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
If you want to bake later,you may cover them with wet towel and refrigerate. I like to add boiled sweet potatoes to the mix with boiled potatoes.
egg puff, vegetarian puff and chicken puffs are common variety.
malay curry puffs are called as karipap.It is a deep fried or baked pastry which has potato and chicken curry filling.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: potato curry puffs are a popular snack and a total crowd pleaser. Serve this delicious recipe with green chutney or sweet chilli sauce.