Vegetable puffs and wonder years. This is a snack filled with nostalgia and smiles. Our childhood is a full of food, fun and frolic. All of us as children, loved going to bakery and pestering our parents to get snacks. First of all, bakery had fresh snacks and mostly sold out by end of the day.
Also back then, these hot spicy buns, veggie puffs were our fast food.
Veg puff pastry is also known as curry puffs and veg patties were just what we wanted post a match.
Also, there were no takeaways or mobile apps.
Why are vegetable puffs so popular?
Vegetarian puffs are a take on meat puffs. They are easily available across bakeries in Indian sub-continent. This is due to huge non- meat eating population. Some other Indian recipes with puff pastry sheets are vegetable samosas, pin wheels, egg puffs.
Either due to religious or health reasons.
Crunchy and crispy, they also are a perfect combination with tomato sauce and mint chutney.
They contain a soft filling of potatoes, peas, groundnuts and spices. You may also add carrots and shredded cabbage. You may even make it with some onions and soaked mung beans.
This is opposite to non-vegetarian counterparts which has a filling of chicken, beef, meat, minced to make 'keema'.
Most noteworthy this is an easy starter for any party. Also, you are sure of the oil and ingredients used.
How to make veg puffs?
Scroll below to get vegetable puffs pastry recipe:
- Ready-made puff pastry sheet - 8 squares
- 1 medium boiled and cubed potato
- ¼ cup chopped french beans
- 1 medium chopped onion and capsicum
- ¼ cup frozen/boiled green peas
- 1 medium chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoon coriander and a chopped green chilli
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon each red chilly powder chaat and garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon amchur/dried mango powder
- 1 teaspoon white/black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Pinch of turmeric
- Salt as per taste
- Greasing: Oil
- Heat oil in pan.
- Saute cumin seeds and add ginger paste, green chilli and onions.
- Saute 5 mins on medium flame and mix well.
- Add beans, salt and turmeric.
- Add capsicum, carrot, peas and boiled potatoes and mix spices.
- Cover and cook for 20 mins on medium heat.
- Turn off heat once done and sprinkle coriander.
- Mash them coarsely with masher.Keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F/ 220 C.
- Thaw puff pastry sheets as per package instructions and make equal size squares from sheet.
- Scoop vegetable mixture and place in middle over pastry sheet.
- Fold sheet over the filling and make triangle or rectangle shape.
- Spread water on edges to seal them.
- Brush puffs with oil and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Line baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Grease with oil and arrange puffs.
- Bake for 25 mins, until golden brown.
- Brush again with oil and serve hot with .
If you open puff pastry sheets when cold they may break.Hence, reheat them in oven at 250 F for 5 min.
You may also wait for them to come to a room temperature.
If you want to bake later,you may cover them with wet towel and refrigerate.
Finally,Click here to watch additional recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".