The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) officially declared that the year 2013 be recognized as "The International Year of the Quinoa". Hence, we have included clean eating recipe here. Crunchy quinoa salad is all you need to pack a punch. It is great as a light meal. Enjoy it with some pumpkin soup and garlic bread on a winter night.
What is clean eating?
It is a lifestyle which ensures you have enough fruits and vegetables along with indigenous grains in your diet. Program recommends eating smaller meals throughout the day. Also include some protein, carbohydrate and fat in each meal. It also recommends practicing an exercise routine.
What is quinoa?
A crunchy grain related to Swiss chard, beet, spinach. It resembles mustard seeds when you first get your eyes on it. Comes in whole grain white, red and black varieties. You even get a tri-colored quinoa these days in Costco. You can find it easily in various super markets. Absolute yum!
Benefits of quinoa
- Super ancient super light and super healthy.
- Has goodness of vitamin B complex.
- Dietary minerals like iron, zinc as well as folic acid, fiber.
- Power house of protein and yet is gluten free.
How to have quinoa daily?
Here is a healthy tip.
If you cannot have a salad everyday, add a handful to a cup of rice each time you boil. I make this everyday so that my family gets enough protein content daily. It also makes sure the sugar is not released immediately as in case of white rice. When sugar gets released fast, it makes you feel full fast. Thereby, making you yawn right after your meal. This will add texture to normal white rice. It will also improve the nutrient content.
You can also add it as a binding agent in patties or cutlets instead of using bread crumbs. See our air-fried beetroot cutlets for the recipe.
- cooked quinoa
- apple/ cucumber
- cherry tomatoes
- pomegranate seeds
- mint / parsley leaves
- For dressing - lemon juice
- olive oil (optional)
- salt and pepper as per taste
- Cook quinoa as per packet instructions.
- Add quinoa to a salad bowl / salad spinner.
- In the mixing bowl, add chopped apples to cooked quinoa.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Mix pomegranate seeds to the bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss the salad with dressing after adding parsley/ mint leaves. Add it to salad just before you serve.
- Serve your crunchy quinoa salad fresh.
Crunchy Quinoa salad
- saucepan (to cook quinoa as per packet instructions)
- salad bowl
- 1 cup cooked quinoa ⅓ cup uncooked quinoa yields 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 apple/cucumber diced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil optional, I did not use it.
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt & pepper as per taste
For the dressing
- Mix all ingredients with a spoon.Keep it aside.
For the salad
- Cook quinoa as per packet instructions. I usually cook quinoa in some water for 8-10 minutes in a saucepan. Drain excess water, keep it aside.
- Toss all ingredients with the dressing.
- Serve fresh.
Yes, if you cook it for less time. Some people cook for a longer time to make it soft ,while others like it al-dente.