The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) officially declared that the year 2013 be recognized as "The International Year of the Quinoa". Hence, we have included clean eating recipe here. Crunchy quinoa salad is all you need to pack a punch. It is great as a light meal. Enjoy it with some pumpkin soup and garlic bread on a winter night.
What is clean eating?
It is a lifestyle which ensures you have enough fruits and vegetables along with indigenous grains in your diet.
Program recommends eating smaller meals throughout the day.
Also include some protein, carbohydrate and fat in each meal
It also Recommends practicing an exercise routine.
What is quinoa?
A crunchy grain related to Swiss chard, beet, spinach. It resembles mustard seeds when you first get your eyes on it.
Comes in whole grain white, red and black varieties. You even get a tri-colored quinoa these days in Costco.
Can quinoa be crunchy?
Yes, if you cook it for less time. Some people cook for a longer time to make it soft ,while others like it al-dente.
Benefits of quinoa
- Super ancient super light and super healthy.
- Has goodness of vitamin B complex.
- Dietary minerals like iron, zinc as well as folic acid, fiber.
- Power house of protein and yet is gluten free.
How to have quinoa daily?
Here is a healthy tip.
If you cannot have a salad everyday, add a handful to a cup of rice each time you boil. I make this everyday so that my family gets enough protein content daily.
It also makes sure the sugar is not released immediately as in case of white rice. Thereby, making you yawn right after your meal.
This will add texture to normal white rice.It will also improve the nutrient content.
Read the crunchy quinoa salad recipe below:
Crunchy Quinoa salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 to mato finely chopped tomatoes halved
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup parsely/mint finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt & pepper as per taste
For the dressing
- Mix all ingredients with a spoon.Keep it aside.
For the salad
- Cook the quinoa in some water for 8-10 minutes,drain excess water, keep it aside
- Toss all ingredients with the dressing.
- Serve fresh.
Click here for more salad recipes
Finally click here for more recipe videos