Papdi chaat is one of the most loved snacks.Indians love snacking.We load the crackers with yogurt,boiled potatoes or sprouts and add some dips to it.It is over version of nachos.However, papdi or cracker is not very healthy.Generally, papdi or it is a thin plain flour biscuit which is deep fried.However,swapping this flour makes a big difference.This unique recipe is made out of kuttu or buckwheat flour.Although it is still fried,it is more nutritious.Also,it is gluten-free.Usually,we eat a gluten-free meal or fal ahaar once a day during fasting.Hence,the name vrat wali falhari dahi papdi chaat.
Fasting and Hinduism
Indians do a lot of intermittent fasting.Some fast once a week while others on special days.Usually,we fast on ekadashi(11 th day of the month) or Poornima (Full moon night).There are many who do it once in 6 months.One such fast is that of Navratri.It is a 9 day fasting.We celebrate it twice an year.(Mar-Apr) in spring and (Sep-Oct) in Autumn. Some people also fast on an yearly basis like each monday in rainy season or Saavan.
Usual diet during fasting
Most people eat one meal a day.Usually we eat at sunset.
Generally, we eat only gluten-free flours,root vegetables,dairy and fruits.
We can consume only certain spices. Ginger,dried mango powder, green chillies and black pepper are allowed.
We use rock salt instead of sea salt.
Scroll below to read falhari papdi chaat
Falhari dahi papdi chaat
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch or powdered sabudana
- 1 tbsp sendha namak/rock salt
- Water for kneading
- Oil for frying
- 1 large boiled potato
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp date chutney
- 2 tbsp mint chutney
- Handful pomegranate seeds
- In a bowl,add buckwheat flour,tapioca starch,salt and some water.
- Knead it into a smooth dough.
- Roll it into thin poppadums or papdi using a baking sheet.
- Cut into desired shapes and prick with a fork.Pricking ensures it doesnt puff up like a poori.
- Fry it until crisp on low heat(important).
- Break the papdi into multiple pieces and add it to a plate.
- Add toppings of potatoes,yogurt, mint chutney.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- You may optionally add fried shredded potatoes on it.
- Serve it fresh.
Click here to see more vrat recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.