Lobia masala or black eyed beans curry is a simple dish for weeknights. Lobia daal is also known as rongi daal or cowpea dal. Vegan gluten free curry which can be paired with rice or roti as per your choice. I love having it with some bread too. My version of beans and toast.
punjabi lobia recipe or rongi dal recipe is perfect for a quick meal. Simple rice and dal is perfect for a quick meal. You can make it in instant-pot or a pressure cooker as per your choice. It also needs less soaking than rajma and chana and is lighter to digest.
There are many curry recipes which can be made in an instant pot. easy recipes like curry and rice helps you avoid a takeaway on a weekday. It also works out cheaper on the wallet. Instant pot moong dal chilka , mung beans, chana dal, yellow moong dal.
- Instant-pot/ pressure cooker
- Lobia beans / black eyed peas dal/ rongi beans / chawli beans
- Ginger -green chilli
- Coriander powder
- Cumin powder
- Red chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Kasoori methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt as per taste
refer to recipe card for details.
Instructions for lobia curry in an instant pot
- Soak lobia for 2-3 hours. Discard water before usage.
- In an instant-pot, heat some oil. Add onions, salt, ginger and green chillies. Sauté onions until light brown.
- Mix well using a wooden spatula.
- Now add chopped tomatoes along with salt. Let it cook until tomatoes soften.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook until spices are done.
- Add soaked lobia to it with water.
- Garnish it with kasuri methi.
Instructions for lobia recipe in a pressure cooker
Follow exactly the same steps as instant-pot, just pressure cook it on low flame for 3-4 whistles.
Instructions for lobiya daal in a pot
Follow exactly the same steps as instant pot, cook these in a covered pot, once cooked, adjust water accordingly. ( I used 4 cups of water with 1 cup dried beans )
Make the curry as per the steps above.
Add soaked black eyed peas to it, after discarding water.
Let lobia daal come to a boil.
Cover and cook until the beans are soft and start breaking apart.(around 30-35 minutes)
Serve black-eyed peas dal, hot with jeera rice or roti as per your choice.
Store this delicious lobia masala curry for 1-2 days in refrigerator. You can also freeze lobia curry recipe for up to a week.
Black eyed beans curry (instant pot / pressure cooker/ pot )
- instant pot
- or pressure cooker
- 2 cup black-eyed beans /lobia/rongi dal/chawli
- 4.5 cups water
- 2 onions large
- 3 tomatoes large, chopped
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Soak beans for 30 mins in hot water or 1-2 hours in cold water. Discard water when you want to use.
In instant pot
- In an instant pot, heat some oil. Add onions,Salt, ginger and green chillies.Sauté onions until light brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes along with salt to it and cook until they soften.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder along with red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups soaked beans along with 4.5 cups fresh water and pressure cook in an instant pot for 10 mins at medium-high pressure mode. Release pressure after 15 mins.
In pressure cooker
- Follow exactly the same steps as instant pot, just pressure cook it on low flame for 3-4 whistles.
- You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Serve it with a dash of lemon juice for good iron absorption.
You can use white lobia or red lobia ( lal lobia) whatever is available. You can also make moong dal chilka in similar fashion.
You can make this spicy by adding extra green chilies, in an onion-tomato gravy. You may also add a spoonful of garam masala powder in the base.
Yes in protein and in fiber.
Yes , as it has a good amount of fiber. You need to take care with the amount of oil/ghee you are using in the gravy as that can balance out the benefits that lobia brings with itself.