Lobia masala or black eyed beans curry is a simple dish for weeknights. Lobia daal is also known as rongi daal. Vegan gluten free curry which can be paired with rice or roti as per your choice. I love having it with some bread too. My version of beans and toast. Punjabi style lobia ki sabji or rongi dal is for a quick meal. Simple rice and dal is perfect for a quick meal. You can make it in instant-pot or a pressure cooker as per your choice. It also needs less soaking than rajma and chana and is lighter to digest.
- Instant-pot/ pressure cooker
- Lobia beans / black eyed peas dal/ rongi beans / chawli beans
- Ginger -green chilli
- Coriander powder
- Cumin powder
- Red chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Kasoori methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt as per taste
Instructions for lobia curry in an instant pot
- Soak lobia for 2-3 hours. Discard water before usage.
- In an instant-pot, heat some oil. Add onions, salt, ginger and green chillies. Sauté onions until light brown.
- Mix well using a wooden spatula.
- Now add chopped tomatoes along with salt. Let it cook until tomatoes soften.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook until spices are done.
- Add soaked lobia to it with water.
- Garnish it with kasuri methi.
Instructions for lobia recipe in a pressure cooker
Follow exactly the same steps as instant-pot, just pressure cook it on low flame for 3-4 whistles.
Instructions for lobiya daal in a pot
Follow exactly the same steps as instantpot, cook these in a covered pot, once cooked, adjust water accordingly.
Black eyed beans curry
- instant pot
- or pressure cooker
- 2 cup black eyed beans /lobia/rongi dal/chawli
- 4.5 cups water
- 2 onions large
- 3 tomatoes large, chopped
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. red chilli powder or as per taste
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi dried fenugreek leaves,optional
- salt as per taste
- Soak beans for 30 mins in hot water or 1-2 hours in cold water. Discard water when you want to use.
In instant pot
- In an instant pot, heat some oil. Add onions,Salt, ginger and green chillies.Sauté onions until light brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes along with salt to it and cook until they soften.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder along with red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups soaked beans along with 4.5 cups fresh water and pressure cook in an instant pot for 10 mins at medium-high pressure mode. Release pressure after 15 mins.
In pressure cooker
- Follow exactly the same steps as instant pot, just pressure cook it on low flame for 3-4 whistles.
- You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
In a pot
- Follow exactly the same steps as instant pot, just cook them in a covered pot until soft,adjust water accordingly.
You can use white lobia or red lobia whatever is available. You can also make moong dal chilka in similar fashion.
Yes in protein and in fiber.
Yes , as it has a good amount of fiber. You need to take care with the amount of oil/ghee you are using in the gravy as that can balance out the benefits that lobia brings with itself.
Store this for 1-2 days in refrigerator.