There is no Indian kid who would not love his moms's Rajma Chawal as much as his noodles.Kidney beans are a rich source of protein.
Rajma or kidney bean curry is synonymous with a North Indian mom's cooking.
This is one of the easiest gravy dishes of North India.In fact,all you need for a good Sunday brunch is the Rajma masala with some Pulao.
Kidney beans in spicy tomato gravy served with dollops of clarified butter or Ghee and rice. You will find rajma curry served at hotels,parties,weekend brunches and at local Punjabi Dhabas.However,if you want to cut calories and avoid ghee or just want to go vegan,Rajma recipe works great.
How to boil rajma?
Soak the kidney beans overnight or 4-5 hrs.
When their skin gets crinkly,they are ready to be cooked.
Depending on variety,they may need 2-3 whistles in pressure cooker.
To learn how to make authentic Dhaba style rajma masala recipe click below
North India's Rajma obsession
There are 2 types of 'Rajma'.The longer one is more easily available, and the other, smaller deep maroon Kashmiri one.In Kashmiri recipe, rajma gogji, chefs cook kidney beans with turnips.At Mata Vaishno Devi,you will find hundreds of stall at Jammu, serving 'Rajma chawal' to devotees.Mexican kidney beans curry Indian style, has indeed been a part of our childhood with such fervor, that it hardly looks a foreign import.This recipe is one of the staple lunches of any Punjabi,Delhi, Kashmiri or North Indian household.It is immensely popular with all age groups.It is also a life saver, when you have guests coming over.
How to make rajma ?
- 500 grams Rajma or kidney beans soaked for 6-8 hours
- 2 tbsp clarified butter ghee or oil if vegan
- 2-3 medium onions chopped
- 200 grams Tomato paste/puree/ 3-4 finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 -2 tbsp Garam masala or 1 piece each cinnamon,bayleaf,cardamom (green,black,Cloves,black pepper) optional
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 green chilly chopped
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dry kasuri methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Basmati rice soaked for 30 mins to 1 hour
- 2 cups water
- Cook Basmati rice and keep them aside.
- Rajma should be soaked overnight in water or soaked in boiling water for 3-4 hours till the skin becomes bit wrinkled.
- Cook these kidney beans with equal amount of water for 4-6 whistles in a pressure cooker(2 whistles on high flame and rest 4 on low flame) or microwave them for 20 minutes with equal quantity of water.
- Heat oil or clarified butter(ghee) in a pan and add all the spices -cinnamon,bayleaf,cardamom (green,black),Cloves,black pepper to it.
- Add green chillies,ginger paste and onions, saute it for few minutes till onions get a golden brown texture.
- Add chopped tomatoes or tomato puree,turmeric,red chilies,coriander powder and salt.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes till it gains a bright red color.
- Close the cooker lid and pressure cook the gravy for 2 whistles on medium flame. This will let onion and tomato bind completely.
- Add the boiled kidney beans to this curry and let it boil for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively you can pressure cook this for 1-2 whistles. Add water(only if required) to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Sprinkle kasuri methi and serve hot with Basmati rice.
It is also a great meal for the next day as it acquires greater flavor by then.
Finally for more recipe videos click here