Lentils are easy to cook. Great for protein too. Fills your tummy and helps you sleep better Most people think about yellow dal tadka and dal makhni when you order out. However, there are a lot of other lentil recipes you can cook. Some lentils are made with combining few lentils like the tridali dal where 3 dals are cooked together and Panchmel dal which is served in dal bati. Other interesting recipes are whole green moong and moong dal chilka. Both of them are easy recipes and serve as a complete meal with rice or roti on a weeknight.
Whole moong needs more time in soaking. However chilke wali moong dal is easy to cook anytime. It is a perfect way to end a hectic day. Cooks while you unwind. Just make some basmati rice to go with it. You can also pair it with some roti. Dinner is served people! These days I just want to cook minimal in the kitchen. Especially on a weeknight. Work life has come home and it has become even more hectic. If you have people coming over, make some jeera aloo to go with it. I love some potatoes as a side. Generally, saayi dal is served with rice or roti. A big basket of fried rice khichiya, rice papad, fryums, potato chips & papad also compliments it.
There is another way to cook moong dal chilka. Just add it to rice and let it come to a boil with some salt.Moong ware chawar never disappoints. I usually make this when I m not cooking dal separately. It is an easy khichdi which goes well with any sabzi like fried eggplants or taryal vangan, or raita and some jeera aloo.
How to make moong dal chilka recipe?
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add chopped chilly and ginger.
2. Add the onions. Let it cook until onions are pink.
3. Now, add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until they soften.
4. Add the spices and let it cook for 5 mins.
5. Add the mung dal and mix well.
6. Add water and pressure cook until 3 whistles.
Serve hot with rice or roti.
Read the moong dal chilka recipe here
Moong dal chilka
- pressure cooker
- ½ cup split green lentils soaked for 30 mins
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion small
- 2 tomatoes medium
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. green chilly chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. red chilly powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- salt as per taste
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add the ginger, chopped chilly and mix well
- Now add the chopped onions. Let it cook until onions are pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until they soften.
- Add the spices and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the mung dal and mix well.
- Add water and pressure cook until 3 whistles
- You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Looking for more weeknight meals?
*If you do not have turai/ridge gourd, you can substitute it with lauki/bottle gourd and even zucchini.
Click here to see more recipe videos.