Horse gram dal or Kulthi dal is an easy recipe. We also call horse gram in Hindi as pahadi gahat dal.It is a great recipe for weeknights mid week. Especially, when you have no capacity to cook an elaborate meal. Humble daal chawal comes to your rescue and saves you from a takeaway.
Dal fry dal tadka , makhani dhal , rajma masala are all common. Make this kulthi bean to have an easy change on a weekday. You can also make a horse gram lentil soup if you love your soup & bread. You can also make rasam with some of horse gram water and tamarind paste after boiling the dal. It is very nutritious. You can also make a kollu sundal which is a dry sabzi instead of a soupy dal. horse gram idli and kollu adai are new recipes you can try too. Another great way to have them is main course salads and as katori chaat. Use different types of dressing on a canned lentil to make a fiber rich lunch instead of a takeaway.
I was actually introduced to this very late. It was one of the meals during my hospital stay post pregnancy. However, the taste and texture in pulao made it one of my favorites. Unlike most legumes, it doesn't get mushy and retains its shape.
What is the benefit of kulthi dal?
- It is great for digestion and relieves constipation due to very high fibre content.
- Those who suffer from kidney ailments like kidney stones are advised to use horsegram lentils by doctors if possible. It has good diuretic properties. It is said kulthi dal for kidney stone is highly recommended. However, one must check with doctor before usage.
- Another big horse gram benefits is it is good for immunity.
- Good for protein.
- Excellent for weight loss.
- Pressure cooker
- Horsegram lentils
- Cumin seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Green chillies as per taste
- Red chili powder as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Refer to recipe card for details.
How to make horsegram lentils?
You can make this in an instant pot, deep saucepan or in a pressure cooker.
- Soak lentils in water for atleast 30 minutes or more.
- Heat oil in a pot, add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste (or finely chopped) and green chilies (if you like it spicy!) to it. Let it cook until onions go brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and let it soften.
- Add spices and salt. Mix well until you get a rich gravy. You may add a teaspoon of garam masala powder to this curry if you have it handy
- Drain the lentils and add it to the gravy.
- Add 2 cups of water(4 times the original lentils) and let it come to a boil.
- Let it simmer on a medium low flame, until the lentils are cooked. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Steps to cook french lentils in a pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds to it. Let it splutter. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Let it cook for 3-4 mins.
- Now add chopped onions to it and let it cook until its pink.
- Mix well and add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Now, add spices to it.
- Add kurthi dal and water, cook until 3-4 whistles. You can also cook it in a pot with 4x times the water. Cook until the lentil is softened.
You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Serve hot with rice or roti.
Store the lentils for 1-2 days in a refrigerator.
Other important horse gram recipes are horse gram rasam, dosa, horse gram soup and sambar. Easy lentil recipes can save you from cooking an elaborate meal. Be it khichdi or dhal rice. Click on links below for more ideas.
You can add soaked lentils while making pulao or have this as a horse gram dal recipe as a soup by adding it to basic tomato soup.You can also make sprouted horse gram recipe as a variation of sprouts salad.
You can make horse gram lentils, vegetarian if you heat ghee instead of oil. Serve it with hot rice for gluten free meal or with roti if you are not gluten-free. You may also make this recipe in an instant pot (will update soon).
You can also make a tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves,ginger garlic paste or just garlic cloves. Add a spoonful of garam masala powder, cumin powder and coriander powder for a change in the recipe.
Top tip : Always add a dash of lemon juice when you serve in the bowl. It will help in iron absorption.
Yes, it is one of the best sources for protein.It is beneficial to eat horse gram for weight loss
Yes it is rich in vitamin C.
Horse gram as it is used to feed horses. It is also called as Madras gram or hurali. Other names are muthira and kollu in various indian languages
Bad effects of eating horse gram is it can cause gas and bloating if eaten in large quantities. Also too much phytic acid in kollu can inhibit absorption of certain minerals.
Horse gram is called Kulthi dal in hindi.
Kulthi ki daal |kollu dal | horse gram lentil recipe
- pressure cooker or deep saucepan
- ½ cup horsegram lentils soaked in water for 30 mins or more
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion small
- 2 tomatoes medium
- 2 tbsp. oil
- In a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add the ginger, chopped chilly and mix well
- Now add the chopped onions. Let it cook until onions are pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until they soften.
- Add the spices and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and mix well.
In traditional pressure cooker:
- Add water and pressure cook until 4 whistles.
- You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice or roti.
In deep saucepan or casserole:
- You can also cook it in a pot with 4x times the water and cook for 30-40 minutes on low-medium flame
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Always reheat your left overs.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: Delicious recipes like toor dal, chana dal, mung beans, red gram, black gram are perfect for a takeaway lunch. They are full of high protein content and amino acids. Perfect for all dietary needs.