Horse gram Kulthi dal is an easy recipe. We also call it as pahadi gahat dal.It is a great recipe for weeknights mid week when you have no capacity to cook an elaborate meal. Humble daal chawal comes to your rescue and saves you from a takeaway. I was actually introduced to this very late. It was one of the meals during my hospital stay post pregnancy. However, the taste and texture in pulao made it one of my favorites. Unlike most legumes, it doesn't get mushy and retains its shape.
What is the benefit of kulthi dal?
- It is great for digestion and relieves constipation due to very high fibre content.
- Those who suffer from kidney ailments are advised to use horsegram lentils.It is a good diuretic. it is said kulthi dal for kidney stone is highly recommended.However, one must check with doctor before usage.
- Another big horse gram benefits is it is good for immunity.
- Good for protein.
- Excellent for weight loss.
Note: Kindly consult with doctor before usage if you are afflicted with any ailments.
- Pressure cooker
- Horsegram lentils
- Cumin seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Green chillies as per taste
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- Salt as per taste
How to make kulthi ki dal?
- Soak lentils for 3-4 hours.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds to it. Let it splutter. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Let it cook for 3-4 mins.
- Now add chopped onions to it and let it cook until its pink.
- Mix well and add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Now, add spices to it.
- Add lentils to it and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Kulthi ki daal -horse gram dal recipe
- pressure cooker
- ½ cup horsegram lentils / kulthi dal soaked for 30 mins
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion small
- 2 tomatoes medium
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon green chilly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- salt as per taste
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add the ginger, chopped chilly and mix well
- Now add the chopped onions. Let it cook until onions are pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until they soften.
- Add the spices and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and mix well.
- Add water and pressure cook until 4 whistles.
- You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
You can add soaked lentils while making pulao or have this as a soup by adding it to tomato soup.
You can make it vegetarian by using ghee instead of oil. Serve it with rice for gluten free meal or with roti if you are not gluten-free.
Other important recipes are horse gram rasam, horse gram dosa, horse gram soup and sambar. Easy lentil recipes can save you from cooking an elaborate meal. Be it khichdi or dhal rice. Click on links below for more ideas.
Yes it is one of the best sources for protein.
Yes it is rich in vitamin C.
Horse gram as it is used to feed horses. It is also called as Madras gram or hurali.