Horse gram dal or Kulthi dal is an easy recipe. We also call horse gram in Hindi as pahadi gahat dal.It is a great recipe for weeknights mid week. Especially, when you have no capacity to cook an elaborate meal. Humble daal chawal comes to your rescue and saves you from a takeaway. I was actually introduced to this very late. It was one of the meals during my hospital stay post pregnancy. However, the taste and texture in pulao made it one of my favorites. Unlike most legumes, it doesn't get mushy and retains its shape.
Dal fry dal tadka , makhani dhal are all common. Make this to have a change on a weekday. You can also make a horse gram lentil soup if you love your soup & bread. You can also make rasam with some of horse gram water after boiling the dal. It is very nutritious.
What is the benefit of kulthi dal?
- It is great for digestion and relieves constipation due to very high fibre content.
- Those who suffer from kidney ailments are advised to use horsegram lentils. It is a good diuretic. it is said kulthi dal for kidney stone is highly recommended. However, one must check with doctor before usage.
- Another big horse gram benefits is it is good for immunity.
- Good for protein.
- Excellent for weight loss.
- Pressure cooker
- Horsegram lentils
- Cumin seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Green chillies as per taste
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Refer to recipe card for details.
How to make horsegram lentils?
You can make this in a pot or in a pressure cooker.
- Soak lentils in water for atleast 30 minutes or more.
- Heat oil in a pot, add chopped onions, ginger-garlic and green chili (if you like it spicy!) to it. Let it cook until onions go brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and let it soften.
- Add spices and salt. Mix well until you get a rich gravy.
- Drain the lentils and add it to the gravy.
- Add 2 cups of water(4 times the original lentils) and let it come to a boil.
- Let it simmer on a medium low flame, until the lentils are cooked. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Steps to cook french lentils in a pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds to it. Let it splutter. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Let it cook for 3-4 mins.
- Now add chopped onions to it and let it cook until its pink.
- Mix well and add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Now, add spices to it.
- Add kurthi dal and water, cook until 3-4 whistles. You can also cook it in a pot with 4x times the water. Cook until the lentil is softened.
You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Serve hot with rice or roti.
Store the lentils for 1-2 days in a refrigerator.
Other important horse gram recipes are horse gram rasam, dosa, horse gram soup and sambar. Easy lentil recipes can save you from cooking an elaborate meal. Be it khichdi or dhal rice. Click on links below for more ideas.
Kulthi ki daal | horse gram dal recipe
- pressure cooker
- ½ cup horsegram lentils soaked in water for 30 mins or more
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion small
- 2 tomatoes medium
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. green chilly chopped,as per taste
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder or as per taste
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- salt as per taste
- In a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add the ginger, chopped chilly and mix well
- Now add the chopped onions. Let it cook until onions are pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until they soften.
- Add the spices and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and mix well.
- Add water and pressure cook until 4 whistles. You can also cook it in a pot with 4x times the water and cook for 30-40 minutes on low-medium flame
- You may garnish optionally with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
You can add soaked lentils while making pulao or have this as a horse gram dal recipe as a soup by adding it to basic tomato soup. You can also make horse gram sprouts recipe as a variation of sprouts salad.
You can make horse gram lentils, vegetarian by using ghee instead of oil. Serve it with rice for gluten free meal or with roti if you are not gluten-free.
Yes it is one of the best sources for protein.It is beneficial to eat horse gram for weight loss
Yes it is rich in vitamin C.
Horse gram as it is used to feed horses. It is also called as Madras gram or hurali. Other names are muthira and kollu
Bad effects of eating horse gram is it can cause gas and bloating if eaten in large quantities. Also too much phytic acid in kollu can inhibit absorption of certain minerals. However,
Always reheat your left overs.
Please share your inputs..