Diwali is the biggest Hindu festival.A time for friends and family to rejoice.Indian sweet market is at its prime during this time.Also, a time to give gifts,sweets,silver and gold.Chikki or Indian praline is an easy dessert.You can make it with sugar or jaggery .Here we make it with Bengal gram dal/chutney dal/Dalai dal/puffed chana and we call it Puff chana chikki.
What is Chana Dalia or puff chana?
We also call this as Bengal gram dal/chutney dal/Dalai dal/puffed chana.Dalia is chana dal, husked, split and roasted. It is commonly used as a thickener with chutneys such as coriander chutney
Use olive oil for vegan version.
Tip: Crush the brittle and add it to ice cream.It tastes divine.
Most people associate this with lonavala.In fact many people actually call it Lonavala chikki.
Til lai is associated with 'makar sankranti'.Not many know we Sindhis make all above versions during Diwali.
How to make chikki with Jaggery ?
It is very easy to make chikki with sugar, the only thing to be done is to caramelize the sugar and then add your main ingredient , like chana dalia,puffed rice , peanuts etc.
However with chikki make only out of jaggery,you need to let the jaggery melt and cook it slowly and keep on testing for its readiness. To test whether its ready or now, you can drop a few droplets in a bowl of cold water and check if it crytalizes in a few seconds. If not, then continue to cook for few more minutes on low flame.
We have used a combination of jaggery and sugar below but you may use only jaggery. Also the if you choose to use the desi or the pure jaggery that is already dark brown in color then the color of the chikki will be more dark, hence you can replace some jaggery with sugar to make it easy to cook and also have a good color.
Step by Step pictures of the recipe
- Roast the puffed chana dal for few minutes
- Cook the jagger with or without sugar
3.Drop few droplets of jaggery in water,if it crystalizes ,it is ready
4.Add the puff chana dal to the jaggery
5.Roll it on a sheet,cover with baking sheet
6.Make incisions,cut into pieces once it cools down
How to make puff chana chikki?
Chikki-Bengal gram brittle
- 1 ⅓ cup roasted bengal gram or chutney dal
- ¼ cup sugar replace sugar by jaggery if required
- ¼ cup jaggery
- 1 tbsp ghee or clarified butter Use oil for dairy free/vegan option
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Dry roast chutney dal in a heavy bottomed pan for 2 minutes.Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add ghee and sugar so that it starts to melt.
- Add jaggery and cook for 2 minutes on low flame,till it forms a homogeneous mixture
- Keep stirring on a medium flame till sugar gets caramelized and you get a boil.
- Drop few droplets of mix in bowl of water, if it crystalizes, then its ready.
- Add cardamom powder to it along with roasted chutney dal and turn off the heat.
- Pour the mixture on a greased plate/baking sheet and roll with a rolling pin to even it.
- While it is still warm cut 1' squares incisions and let it cool.
- Break into pieces once it cools off
- Store brittle in a tight container.
Click here to read more sweet recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.