Diwali is the biggest Hindu festival and is celebrated across the world.It is a time for friends and family to rejoice.People look forward to it all round the year and it is the time where sweets take over all the Indian kitchens.Indian sweet market is at its prime during this time and houses bustle with guests. ‘Gujiya‘ to ‘chikki‘ ,’Mysore Pak‘ to ‘Kaju Katli‘.It is a time to give gifts,sweets,silver and gold.
Chikki-bengal gram brittle is one the easiest sweets.You can make it with sugar or jaggery or both.You can also use groundnuts,coconut,dry fruits and sesame seeds
.Chutney dal or roasted Bengal gram is easily available in the kitchen and this sweet is for those who want a quick no fuss sweet,or who do not enjoy milk based sweets too much. Most people associate ‘chikki‘ with lonavala and ‘til chikki‘ with ‘makar sankranti‘,but not many know that ‘chikki‘ or ‘lai‘ is also associated with Diwali, and made in Sindhi households.[adrotate banner=”1″]
Scroll below to read the recipe of Chikki-Bengal gram brittle
- 1 cup roasted bengal gram or chutney dal
- 1/4 cup sugar(Use maple syrup for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup jaggery
- 1 tbsp ghee or clarified butter(Use oil for dairy free/vegan option)
- 2-3 cardamoms powdered
- Dry roast chutney dal in a heavy bottomed pan for 2 minutes.Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add ghee and sugar so that it starts to melt.
- Keep stirring on a medium flame till sugar gets caramelized and you get a boil.
- Add jaggery and cook for 2 minutes on low flame,till it forms a homogeneous mixture.
- Add cardamom powder to it along with roasted chutney dal and turn off the heat.
- Pour the mixture on a greased plate/baking sheet and roll with a rolling pin to even it.
- While it is still warm cut 1' squares incisions and let it cool.
- Break into pieces once it cools off
- Store brittle in a tight container.