Juar jo dhodho-sorghum flatbread is a Sindhi specialty.We usually eat it as breakfast.A big bowl of yogurt and a dollop of white butter goes best with it.
However,if you like to go vegan,you might as well eat it with pickled onions, tomato or a mint chutney and kale smoothie.
This dish is similar to potato pancakes.
Nowadays millet and gluten free grains, are used as an alternative to wheat in the West.
However, our Ayurveda has always emphasized on eating variety of flour.
Corn,sorghum,millet and barley are common.
What makes this dish extraordinary?
You can eat 'Jowar' or sorghum millet both as a grain and a flour.
This gluten-free flour is full of nutrition.Power packed with iron,protein,dietary fiber and calcium.
Good for the heart and digestion.
Helps you improve bone strength.
Also,helps you prevent diabetes,cancer.
In this dish,we do add some wheat flour to jowar to improve its elasticity.
If you would like it gluten-free,add some boiled potatoes while kneading.
Although the bread is vegan,you can pair it with yogurt,pickle or some curry.
Scroll below to read the Juar jo dhodho
Juar jo dhodho-Sorghum flatbread
- 2 cup Jowar or sorghum flour
- 4 green onion stalk chopped
- 1/2 cup green garlic chopped green chilly finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup warm water for kneading
- Salt as per taste
- 2-3 tbsp oil for roasting
- Add the flour with warm water.
- Add remaining ingredient, knead into a medium soft dough,add more water if required.
- Take some part of dough and shape it into a roti/flat bread by flattening with back of your palms.
- (Alternatively you can put some dough in between baking sheet/edible polythene sheet and roll with a rolling pin slowly to flatten it)
- Heat the pan for few minutes.Put the flatbread on the pan and pour 1-2 drops of oil on it.Let it cook on both sides.
- Serve warm with yogurt.
- Serve hot with mint chutney, if vegan,with yogurt dip for non vegan option.
Click here for more Sindhi recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe from our channel "secondrecipe".