Juar jo dhodho-sorghum flatbread is a Sindhi specialty.It is usually eaten for breakfast along with a big bowl of yogurt and a dollop of white butter.However,if you like to go vegan,you might as well eat it with pickled onions,tomato or a mint chutney and some almond milk smoothie.This dish is similar to western potato pancakes eaten for breakfast.These days there is a lot of emphasis, on eating millet and gluten free grains, as an alternative to wheat in the western region.However, our Ayurveda and Indian Cuisine has always emphasized on the benefits of all kinds of flour.We have seen the use of many flours like corn,sorghum,maize,millet and barley in various dishes.
What makes this dish extraordinary?
‘Jowar‘ or sorghum millet is eaten both as a grain and a flour.This gluten free flour is full of iron,protein,dietary fiber and calcium.It is good for the heart and digestion. Jowar helps you improve bone strength,has cardiac benefits and helps you prevent diabetes,cancer.In this dish,we do add some wheat flour to jowar to improve its elasticity.If you would like it gluten-free,add some boiled potatoes while kneading.
- 1 cup Jowar or sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour(For the gluten-free version,add 1 large boiled mashed potato instead of wheat)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 green onion stalk chopped
- 1/2 green chilly finely chopped
- Few stalks of coriander or cilantro finely chopped
- Some water for kneading
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Salt as per taste
- Mix all ingredients except water along with oil.
- Add the water slowly to knead a tight dough.
- Pour 2-3 drops of oil on palms of your hand.
- Take some part of dough and shape it into a roti/flat bread by flattening with back of your palms.
- (Alternatively you can put some dough in between baking sheet/edible polythene sheet and roll with a rolling pin slowly to flatten it)
- Heat the pan for few minutes.Put the flatbread on the pan and pour 1-2 drops of oil on it.Let it cook on both sides.
- Serve hot with chutney,pickles if vegan,with yogurt dip for non vegan option.
- You can also add some chopped mint for flavor