Namak para or nimki has a sweet counterpart too, shakarpara. Basically, namak parey are savory version of this tasty snack and shakarpare is the sweet maida biscuits. These have been an integral part of childhood in Indian homes, as school snacks. They are perfect when you have guests. My mum and MIL both keep jars of goodies ready, whenever we go home even today. We instantly become kids again, We instantly become kids again looking at this golden brown tea-time snack.
Diwali is a time to host friends and family.It is also a time for high tea and you need loads of recipes. Be it evening snacks like sweet indian cookies(nankhatai) or savory chakli(murruku), air fryer sev. Also, a great way to use chashni or sugar syrup left from all the gulab jamuns gobbled up by us. Traditionally, they are made by deep frying in hot oil after rolled dough is cut into diamond shape. However, now I love to bake them in an oven or in my ninja foodi air fryer as it helps me avoid excess oil.
sweet shakkar para are known by many names in different parts of India.sweet tukdi , sankhe, sweet sweet shankarpali recipe in tamil nadu. Similarly, khurma or laktho is also eaten in Bihar, Jharkhand, and eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- Stand mixer optional
- Pizza cutter or knife
- Oven or air fryer
- parchment paper / baking paper
- ghee (for kneading and brushing)
- sugar syrup ( I have used the leftover syrup from the gulab jamun tins, you can make syrup at home, we need '1 tar chashni' , start with equal quantity of sugar and water)
- cardamom powder
- maida / plain flour / all purpose flour
- baking soda
refer to recipe card for details.
- Add ghee and sugar syrup with cardamom in a bowl
2. Add the plain flour with baking soda
3. Knead it into a soft dough.
4. Roll it in a thick and even shape
5. Using a knife or a pizza cutter,cut it into small squares
6. Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 170 deg C | 340 F. Place the shakarpara on a parchment paper in the airfryer (optional) and cook for 5 minutes at 170C|340F
Brush it with ghee and cook further for 5 mins. Remove the parchment paper, flip and brush with ghee again, cook for further 4-5 mins (total cooktime of 14-15 minutes at 170C|340F)
You can make this as gud pare or gur parey using jaggery instead of sugar. You may also make a baked namak parey recipe and coat it with powdered sugar instead of adding it to dough.
You can make shakarpara dough with whole wheat flour. You may fry it in a frying pan or a sauce pan on a medium heat, if you want to make it traditionally.
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
air fryer shakarpare recipe | sweet shakarpara recipe
- or air-fryer
- pizza cutter/knife for incisions
- Add ghee and sugar syrup with cardamom in a bowl.
- Add the plain flour with baking soda
- Knead it into a soft dough.
- Roll it in a thick and even shape,Using a knife or a pizza cutter,cut it into small squares
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 170 deg C | 340 F. Place the shakarpara on a parchment paper in the airfryer (optional) and cook for 5 minutes at 170C|340F
- Brush it with ghee and cook further for 5 mins. Remove the parchment paper, flip and brush with ghee again, cook for further 4-5 mins (total cooktime of 14-15 minutes at 170C|340F)
- Store in a airtight container once it comes at room temperature.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
conclusion: shakar para is an Indian snack perfect for munching ,with a cup of tea. in the festive season.