Vietnamese rice paper rolls is an easy snack. Great way to use your left over noodles and salad too. All you need is some rice paper roll wrappers. Fresh spring rolls look colorful and appetizing. Just serve this plant-based vegetarian rice paper rolls with some satay sauce or a spicy ketchup. Rice paper continues to amaze me each time I use it. It is so thin yet strong enough to hold everything together. These summer roll which are not fried or air fried like normal lumpia or spring rolls. Learn to make this easy appetizer here which is light and tasty. Perfect for summer!
They are a great snack and healthier than having popcorn and burgers during your favorite match or movie at home. You can make them hot and fresh and enjoy it while the game lasts or prepare the filling one day early and just set them to steam instantly. People love having these rolls, all over the globe. From Singapore to India, from Vietnam to Australia, Cambodia to USA, people have connected to this oriental dish very quickly You find them everywhere, in live counters and outdoor parties, upscale restaurants to oriental diners.
- mandolin slicer
- rice paper wrap / spring roll wrappers
- green, yellow & red bell peppers
- peanut sauce / satay sauce for serving.
- In a saucepan, boil noodles as per your packet instructions. Slice the peppers lengthwise.
2. Take warm water in a wide plate/bowl. Dip the rice paper roll in the warm water for 3-4 seconds.
3. Move the wet rice paper to a clean kitchen towel
Place peppers at one end, leaving enough space to roll the wrapper.
4. Add the cooked noodles on top.
5. Fold them by rolling it twice to make a wrap as per the pictures below.
6. Close the edges from left and right to make an envelope.
7. Roll again to seal the wrap and enclose it. Repeat for all the filling.
8. Serve with satay sauce or spicy peanut dipping sauce.
- You can use any vegetable you like in the filling along with rice noodles. Crunchy green onion, red cabbage or purple cabbage, steamed tofu can be added as per your choice.
- Another variation is to use avocado,carrot strips,noodles,red peppers with coriander.Slice the avocado with the skin first, it makes it easier to peel them off later.
If you are a non vegetarian, you may use minced meat as a filling for rice paper rolls along with veggies and noodles. You can also add soy sauce tofu to this filling for vegans.Rice paper rolls are an oriental delicacy which are served as appetizers. It can be served for both vegetarians and non vegetarians depending on the choice of ingredients. You can work with the best of ingredients whether its carrots, peppers, red cabbage and beans. Meat lovers can make it with chicken, fish, beef or pork or if you are a sea food lover, you can choose prawns or fish. All you need is a steamer and rice paper cover.
Store it in refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Vietnamese rice paper rolls | vegan rice paper roll recipe
- mandolin slicer
- 1 each peppers red, yellow and green
- 1 packet noodles
- rice paper wrappers store bought
- In a saucepan, boil noodles as per your packet instructions. Slice the peppers using mandolin slicer.
- Apply water on edges of each rice paper wrapper.
- Place peppers at one end, leaving enough space to roll the wrapper.
- Add the cooked noodles on top.
- Fold them by rolling it twice to make a wrap as per the pictures below.
- Close the edges from left and right to make an envelope.
- Roll again to seal the wrap and enclose it. Repeat for all the filling.
- Serve with satay sauce or spicy peanut sauce.
- You may serve them directly or cut into bite size 2 pieces.
Both are made using rice paper wraps except that latter is fried. Spring rolls (cha gio) are crispy and fried. Summer rolls or rice paper rolls are made with raw rice paper wrappers and have cold ingredients (goi cuon).
If you replace bread with rolls and use healthy fillings, it will definitely aid in weight loss.