I crave noodles when I am unwell or when I want to eat something hot in the cold weather.Be it Hakka noodles , Tofu noodle soup , Tofu Ramen or an easy veg maggi. Anything simple is welcome. Who can escape the maggi masala magic? I loved having maggi everywhere in hills especially in Gangtok and outskirts. Cold weather and hot noodles or laksa is just a match made in heaven!
We are very used to the Indian flavors of maggi masala packet. However, the one available abroad has a slightly different flavor. Generally, ingredients of maggi masala powder are more suited to the country you live in. Some are vegan but may contain flavor enhancers.
Living abroad does get complicated sometimes. Like a simple ramen outlet is not enough. Although, some may have vegetarian option, egg is still considered vegetarian outside India. I am allergic to egg, MSG or Ajinomoto. Whether is MSG is made from natural. Some people may still be allergic to the chemical combination).Sometimes giving special instructions to chef helped but not always when I was eating out.
In authentic Asian cuisine in many restaurants in Melbourne, even the curry is made with bone broth. Thus we started experimenting with home made noodles. Hence I always try to eat vegan or do my research before I visit any restaurant. Many retrials helped to create a spice mix without flavor enhancers(621,635,637) .Homemade Noodles & tasty masala is my healthy market counterpart. You can make it at home too. Make a spice mix and voila!
Kids love instant noodles. However, a mum always wants them to eat healthy. This is a win-win recipe for both mum and kids. They get their noodles, while we get no preservative stuff. You can use this spice powder with any noodles. We prefer buying plain noodles from the market. Add your homemade masala with the plain noodles.
You can also use this with Soba noodles or wheat noodles. Even vegetable or lentil based. Zucchini and carrot noodles are also a good option. Fresh from spiralizer, easy and tasty. Many food processors now have this attachment. I love mine by Ninja. Choose your pick and create a new dish each week. Enjoy!
Refer to the below items to make homemade Maggi masala powder recipe
This recipe of Maggi masala powder or maggi seasoning substitute is adapted to the Indian taste. Hence you will find Indian curry ingredients as well.
- Cumin powder
- Amchur powder ( dry mango powder)
- Dried ginger, garlic and onion
- Fenugreek seeds
- Garam masala
- Turmeric Powder
- Coriander powder
- Red chilly or Red Chilli powder
How to make noodles masala ?
There is just 1 step to make this. You need to grind all the maggi masala powder ingredients. Store it in a clean jar for your use. Personally, I have used this masala for more than 3 months. The taste was well preserved as the ingredients are mostly dry.
The next step is to make vegetable Maggi noodles at home . Scroll below for instructions.
This masala can stay well for few months in an air tight jar. If in doubt, store them in a zip lock back in the freezer.
How to make maggi step by step pictures?
Whether you choose to make the Maggie masala at home or use the store bought Maggi, you can always add more vegetables to make it more healthy. Whether its the atta (whole meal) or maida (plain) version. It is always good to add veggies to the noodles. This improves the nutrient content. Makes it healthier whether its for kids or adults.
- Boil the plain noodles in a sauce pan with enough water.
2. Strain the noodles once they are soft.
3. Chop the veggies.
4. Heat oil and sauté the onions pink.
5. Add the chopped carrots along with some salt. Let it cook for few minutes.
6. Add chopped capsicums and tomatoes. Let it cook for few minutes.
7. Now, add the peas along with spices.
8. Add water and mix well.
9. Now, add the cooked noodles to the pan.
10. Mix well and let it come to a boil. Serve hot.
Read similar recipes on our site
Yes,as your can see the masala does have onion and garlic. However as you are preparing the masala at home, you can easily skip the onion garlic. I would suggest to add a little more garam masala to balance the flavour.
There are various opinions around this, it better to read the ingredients on the packet and any flavor enhancers mentioned on the packet as per the country of origin. In the recipe above, there no flavour enhancers.
You can add other veggies to the recipe like beans and broccoli. Ingredients in maggi can be customized as per your taste. No wonder they are such a comfort food! Make it extra spicy by adding some chilli flakes, yummy!
Make this recipe protein rich by adding some tofu to it for a vegan option. This is a great way of having firm and extra firm tofu if you cannot have it as a whole. Vegetarians can also make a paneer maggi recipe by adding paneer before adding noodles to your pan . Paneer ramen is a nostalgia for many of us hostelites. You can also add a cheese slice on top to get a gooey cheesy flavor to your noodles. Cheese maggi never disappoints.Delish!
Some people love to add a fried egg on top of their ramen. How do you like yours?
Read below our maggi noodles masala recipe
Homemade noodles masala and veggie noodles recipe
ingredients of maggi seasoning substitute
- 4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1-½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds /powder
- 1-½ teaspoon garam masala
- 4 teaspoon amchur or dried mango powder
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 packet plain noodles
- 2 tablespoon homemade masala powder
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped capsicum
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup peas
- Salt as per taste
maggi powder recipe
- Mix all the spices and store in an air tight container.
- You may use a spice grinder in case of using seeds.
Vegetable masala noodles recipe
- Boil the plain noodles in a sauce pan with enough water. Strain the noodles once they are soft.
- Chop the veggies.
- Heat oil and sauté' the onions pink.
- Add the chopped carrots along with some salt. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add chopped capsicums and tomatoes. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Now, add the peas along with masala.
- Add ½ cup water and mix well.
- Now, add the cooked noodles to the pan. Mix well and let it come to a boil. Serve hot.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation while cooking.
Justine Z says
Absolutely delicious! The spice blend manages to perfectly capture the flavor of Maggi Masala instant noodles. Easy and quick for a weeknight dinner.
bhavana bhatia says
Thank you so much for your feedback Justine. Glad you liked it.
NEHA JAIN says
Masala Compliments every dish
The Maggie masala is perfect. Enjoyed it. Thank you so much.
bhavana bhatia says
Thank you so much for you feedback. We too love it a lot and keep it in the pantry for our cravings..