Wanting something tasty and easy to make for a side? Give Hasselback sweet potatoes a try! These sweet potatoes are delicious and super nutritious! Hasselback sweet potatoes have a crispy outside and a soft inside, so they're great for weeknight meals or special occasions. Plus, they're gluten-free & vegan, so everyone loves them. Check this out to learn how to make a tasty dish that'll blow your family and friends away.
Most people love a potato, but sweet potatoes look a little boring. Most people make a pudding or halwa if they want to use a sweet potato but they doesn't appeal to young kids. Sweet potatoes in hasselback style makes a boring sweet potato interesting! Sweet potato chips, Parmentier potatoes, baked sweet potatoes are some easy recipes you can make in your air fryer.
Air fryer has made life easy. There are great recipes such as air fryer Potato skins , air fryer Potato chips , air fryer smashed potatoes or air fryer potato cheese balls. You may also use the air fryer to cook frozen snacks such as pizza pockets,spring rolls,frozen pizza,frozen samosa or reheat leftover fries and leftover pizza in the airfryer.
Bonus,if you want to read through the list of different types of vegetables with pictures and names ,feel free to read our post vegetables names and pictures
- Air fryer
- mixing bowl
- knife & spoons
- pastry brush
- sweet potatoes
- Salt as per taste
How to make hassleback potatoes in air fryer?
- Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly and remove any dirt from them.
- Place the sweet potato alongside 2 inverted spoons or skewers. Cut it with a knife using the skewers as a barrier to prevent from cutting all the way down through the sweet potato.
- Preheat the air fryer at 200 deg C (390 F) for 5 mins. Brush 1 tbsp. oil on sweet potatoes and place it in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 8 mins at 200 deg C (390 F).
- Mix salt and smoked paprika in 2-3 tbsp. oil.
- Apply the oil with seasoning to potatoes. Air fry for 6 mins at 200C|390F and brush again with oil. Air fry at 4-5 mins at 200 deg C (390 F).
Serve your air fried sweet potatoes hot.
While picking these up from the air fryer, be careful as they might break off, I prefer to use a turner or a spatula to pick these up.
Few things to note
- The air fryer has to be pre heated. Treat it just like your oven.
- Once cooked, use a spatula to pick them up, else they will break.
- Coat the sweet potatoes with honey, smoked paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder before baking for a sweet and spicy flavor.
- Layer some cheddar cheese between the sweet potato slices and bake until it's melted and bubbly.
- Add some fresh rosemary, thyme, and parsley to the sweet potatoes before baking for an extra flavorful touch.
- Spice things up with chipotle-flavored hot sauce or adobo sauce instead of BBQ sauce.
- For a sweet and savory Asian flavor, brush the sweet potatoes with teriyaki sauce before baking.
- Slather some pesto on the sweet potatoes before baking for a flavor boost.
- Brush the sweet potatoes with harissa paste before baking for a North African flavor with a kick.
Store air fryer sweet potatoes in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Always heat your food before serving.
Always reheat your leftovers. You can air fry at 200 deg C for 2-3 mins instead of using a microwave.
This technique comes from Swedish restaurant which introduced it in 1940s -Hasslebacken.
air fryer hassleback sweet potatoes recipe
- pastry brush
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. oil 2 tablespoon oil for seasoning
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- salt as per taste
- Wash and remove any dirt from the potatoes.
- Place the sweet potato alongside 2 inverted spoons /skewers. Cut the potato with the knife using the spoons to prevent from cutting all the way down through the potato.(refer to picture in the post above)
- Preheat the air fryer at 190 deg C (375 F). for 5 mins. Brush 1 tbsp. oil on it. Air fry for 10 mins at 190 deg C (375 F). to make hasselback potatoes in the air fryer.
- Apply the oil with seasoning to potatoes Air fry further for 8-9 mins at 190 deg C (375 F). or until the potatoes are cooked brushing twice in between. Serve hot/warm.
- While picking these up from the air fryer, be careful as they might break off,I prefer to use a turner or a spatula to pick these up.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation while cooking.