I am a huge fan of French boulangerie and Melbourne cafe scene. Each baker is an artist who makes your breakfast special. Whether its sourdough or crossiants. Bagels or muffins. Whether its fluffy sponge cake, invert cake or cream swiss roll. Each great recipe has their own fans. However, there was a baked goodie which made my childhood special. The legendary Cream roll. Also, known as cream-filled pastry horns abroad. This delicious treat was something my dad & I shared in Bhopal every holidays. Poha Jalebi, Samose kachori, and favorite ice cream and gulab jamuns from chappan bhog made my childhood really special as a little girl. Good food does brings back the best memories with loved ones. Though we get it in Melbourne too, making this air fryer yummy cream rolls recipe made us really delighted.
We loved creating fusion recipes for the festive season. Whether it's gulab jamun ice cream or a rasmalai cheese cake. Gulab jamun cheese cake, carrot halwa cheese cake or a trifle. However, using air fryer helped us make many fried dishes like karanji, modak and shakkar pare low oil. This helped my kid connect to traditional recipes too. Other easy recipes are banana walnut cake, buckwheat banana muffins, vegan hot cross buns, air fryer Indian cookies (nankhatai) and Xmas cake.
Indulge your sweet tooth with the heavenly delight of cream rolls. In this article, we’ll explore the key ingredients, steps, variations, substitutions, frequently asked questions, and conclude with why this cream roll recipe is a must-try for every aspiring home baker.
- Always check the expiry date of your ingredients. Store them correctly.
- Keep everything ready before you start. This ensures you do not end up frustrated mid cook.
- Also, ALWAYS preheat your oven or air fryer at least for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk on a low setting, until the frosting incorporates well. Do not over beat it.
- Air fryer or oven
- stand mixer / whisk & mixing bowl
- icing bag / pastry bag
- icing tip of your choice.
- Cream horn moulds or carrots
- pizza cutter
- rubber spatula
I have just used fresh carrots for making the shells, you can also use piping these.
To embark on the journey of creating these delicious cream rolls, gather the following basic ingredients:
- Puff pastry sheets
For the filling you need
- Cream cheese
- whipped cream / heavy cream
- any flavorings - vanilla extract / saffron milk mixture.
refer to the recipe card for details.
- Thaw the frozen sheets for few minutes,using a pizza cutter cut long strips in the baking sheet.
2. Roll the pastry sheets on each carrot or as per the picture above.Freeze these in the freezer for few hours.
3. Preheat the airfryer for 5 minutes at 150C/300F. Place them on a tray with baking paper below.
4. Starting baking these frozen pastry rolls at 150 deg C/300 deg F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Let it cool once done .
6.Slide the carrots out of these and pipe the icing for all the cream rolls.(refer to steps for filling below)
6. For baking in an oven : Bake in a traditional oven @ 150 deg C | 300F (fan forced ) for around 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Pipe with cream cheese(refer steps below)
For cream cheese frosting:
Refer to the Gulab jamun cheese cake recipe, for step by step instructions, in order to make cream cheese frosting to make cream cheese frosting. Here is a collage for your reference on how to make your frosting.
- Add the frosting ingredients to a stand mixer. Whisk on a low setting, until the frosting incorporates well and you get soft peaks. Do not over beat it.
- Pipe the frosting using icing tip.
Store cream-filled pastry horns in an airtight container for 3-4 days in refrigerator.
One of the best things about cream rolls is their versatility. Experiment with different flavors by adding a hint of lemon juice to the whipped cream and stuffing the puff pastry rolls, You can also make a chocolate filling instead of white cream by using cocoa powder or use a chocolate ganache.
If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are missing an ingredient or searching for a healthier option, there is no need to worry or be afraid. To reduce the calorie content, try substituting cream cheese with pastry cream for a lighter filling. Don't hesitate to play around with various flavors and textures, as this will allow you to personalize the cream roll according to your unique taste preferences.
Have questions about the cream roll process? Check out our frequently asked questions section for answers to common queries. From the best way to achieve stiff peaks to the easiest way to invert the cake, we’ve got you covered.
Creams rolls are called cannoncini in Italy, kornedákia in Greece and Schaumrollen in Austria. In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, cream horns are called Lady Locks or clothespin cookies.
Air fryer cream roll recipe
- stand mixer / whisk
- icing tip
- icing bag
Cream roll shells
- 1 puff pastry sheet the sheet is approx 24cmx24cm
- 6 cream roll shells or carrots
- ½ block cream cheese 1 block of cream cheese is 250gm
- 2 tablespoon sugar after grinding
- 50 ml whipping cream
- few strands of saffron, soaked in 1-2 tablespoon milk.
Cream horn shells in air fryer.
- Thaw the frozeen sheets for few minutes,using a pizza cutter cut long strips in the baking sheet.Roll the pastry sheets on each carrot or as per the picture above.
- Freeze these in the freezer for few hours. This helps to get a good shape for the pastries
- Preheat the airfryer for 5 minutes at 150C/300F. Place them on a tray with baking paper below.Starting baking these frozen pastry rolls at 150 deg C/300 deg F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool once done .Slide the carrots out of these and pipe the icing for all the cream rolls.(refer to steps for filling below)
In an oven:
- Bake in a pre heated oven @ 150 deg C (fan forced ) for around 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool over a wire rack.
For cream cheese frosting
- Add cream cheese blocks in a bowl of electric mixer. Add powdered sugar and start beating this on on medium speed until soft.
- Add rose water to the mix once it is soft. Also add the saffron milk mixture and beat it for few minutes until its well combinedIn a seperate bowl,
- Add the whipping cream, start beating with hand mixer or stand mixer until you get soft peaks. Add this whipping cream to the cream cheese mix.
- Pipe the frosting using any icing tip.
- The shells can be stored at room tempreture in an air tight container
- The cream horn shells with piped cream need to be stored in the fridge, they can be stored for 3-4 days.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
Conclusion: To conclude, this cream roll recipe is a delightful option that can successfully satisfy your cravings for something sweet. Whether you have years of experience in the kitchen or you're just starting out, this recipe guarantees a mouthwatering result. The combination of each individual element seamlessly blends together to produce a dessert that will undoubtedly leave you with an insatiable desire for more.