Banana is a fruit easily available almost everywhere. Probably, the greatest source of natural sugar. It is a perfect solution when you want to have instant energy. Furthermore, it is a powerhouse of potassium, vitamin B6, manganese and fiber. However, overripe bananas pose a challenge to eat because they are pulpy and soft. Also, spots show up on its skin thereby making them an eyesore. However, you can make a delicious baked goodies instead of throwing it in the bin.
Eggless Banana walnut cake is the alternative to commercially made cakes. You also avoid preservatives and commercial additives if you like to eat packaged tea-cakes. This is just recipe for you cannot visit a cafe nearby. Easy breakfast deal for next time, some homemade sweet cake with a cup of coffee. 🙂
Other similar eggless recipes for cakes and muffins include Eggless blueberry cake ,Vegan airfryer muffins, Eggless chocolate walnut cake, vegan banana oat muffins , Vegan chocolate muffin & Vegan Christmas cake .
Top tip : Ensure you have cleaned your oven before you cook, else left over particles of earlier cook will give a bad smell.
Egg allergies and Advantages of home baking
Some people may be allergic to yeast or eggs.Usually bakers glaze egg whites and gelatin to give bread a beautiful finish.They may experience flatulence, bloating and gastric trouble.Also, may face stomach ache and cramps.
Yes,with this recipe can still have your cake and eat it too.Make them on the weekend and enjoy.You may also tweak recipes according to your health constraints and still enjoy life.As a result, you get a non-commercial healthy cake and also no added chemicals means it is healthy.
Serving suggestion: You may also pour the batter into muffin cups.Carry it to work for on-the-go brekkie. Have it warm with some vanilla or chocolate ice cream on the side on a hot day for dessert.
- mixing bowl
- masher /food processor
- loaf pan / baking tin / baking tray
- overripe bananas
- Powdered chia seeds (Each tablespoon of chia seed meal need ⅓ cup water)
- milk (Vegan or dairy milk as per your liking)
- oil ( sunflower or any neutral flavored oil)
- self raising plain flour (To replace self raising flour - Sift 1 cup plain flour with 2 teaspoon baking powder)
- apple cider vinegar
Read the recipe card for instructions.
Follow the below instructions for an easy eggless banana walnut cake recipe
Mash the bananas in a bowl
In a large bowl, add chia seed mix,banana and sugar.
Add oil to the mix
Add milk to the mix with vanilla extract.
Now, add self raising flour to the wet mixture
Add apple cider vinegar,Mix the ingredients slowly with a whisk.Do not overmix
- Pour the batter in cake tin. Garnish with chopped walnuts
- Preheat the airfryer at 160 deg C / 320F
- Place in an air fryer basket. Air fry at 160 deg C / 320F for 18-20 mins. Check with toothpick once done or cook for few more mins until it comes clean.
Hint: Always preheat your air fryer like an oven. You must always remove any left over tidbits before usage for best results.
How to make the banana walnut cake in oven?
- Pour the dough in the loaf tin. Garnish with chopped walnuts.
- Preheat the oven for 5 mins. Bake the dough for 30-35 mins at 180 degrees Celsius or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it rest for 10 minutes before you serve.
- You can make a whole wheat banana cake by using a whole wheat self raising flour instead of self raising flour made with all purpose flour. This might require extra liquid as wholemeal flour is thicker, so adjust the batter accordingly.
- You may use baking paper or parchment paper instead of using a greased baking tin. Add the batter to muffin cups instead of baking it square or round and give individual treat in bento box.
- This tea-time cake can be customized to make vegan banana cake. Use olive oil instead of butter and almond milk / oat milk / hemp seed milk instead of dairy based milk.
Instead of walnuts, you can add pecans or sliced almonds or cashews. If you do not want to add dry fruits, you may garnish it with chocolate chips. You can use both milk choco chips or dark chocolate chips for the same. You may add some cocoa powder or coffee powder to it. Add a little cinnamon powder or few drops of vanilla extract if you find banana flavor overpowering.
Slice eggless banana walnut cake at room temperature and keep it refrigerated. It lasts 4-5 days or max a week.
If there is too much flour and less liquid it will turn up dry.
How do you know if banana cake is undercooked?
Insert a tooth pick once baking is done to check if there is some batter sticking to it. If yes, it needs at least 5 more minutes of baking. Recheck again once done.
Press the center to see if it springs back. If your fingers leave an indent, it still needs more time in the oven.
Eggless Banana Walnut Cake recipe | easy eggless banana cake recipe
- mixing bowls
- 2 tablespoon powdered chia seeds Each tablespoon of chia seed meal need ⅓ cup water
- ⅔ cup water for soaking chia seed meal (15 mins)
- 3 medium bananas, 3 medium banana yielding 200gms banana fruit
- ½ cup oil Sunflower oil or any neutral tasting vegetable oil
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 6 tablespoon vegan milk or dairy milk if not vegan
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cup self raising flour
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
In air fryer:
- Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, add chia seed meal, banana and sugar.
- Add oil to the mix.
- Add milk to the mix with vanilla extract.
- Add apple cider vinegar.
- Now, add the dry ingredient ( self raising flour ) to the wet ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients slowly with a whisk.Do not overmix
- Pour the batter in cake tin. Place in an air fryer basket.
- Preheat the airfryer at 160 deg C / 320F
- Air fry at 160 deg C / 320F for 18-20 mins. Check with toothpick once done or cook for few more mins until it comes clean.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes over a wire rack, before you serve.
- Preheat the oven for 5 mins at 180 deg C | 355 F.
- Bake the dough for 30-35 mins at 180 degrees celsius in a preheated oven or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Always reheat leftover food before consumption.
- Keep the kitchen well ventilated while cooking.
- Always use mittens while removing baked goods from the oven.