what is dal makhni?
Punjabi dal makhni or Maa di daal is a dish which everyone can enjoy. Makhani dal or kali dal is a black lentil recipe which is great for parties too. It needs less ingredients and can be eaten by all as it is very low in spices. Very simple yet very tasty. We love cooking it on Sunday for a lazy lunch. Hope you will enjoy making it too. All you need is some overnight soaking. You can make it in a sauce pan, and even in an instant pot. You will never go wrong with serving this dal for any party lunch or dinner.
One can understand the importance of this wholesome lentil by the fact that it is served in langar. It is an amazing dish which is also served in the community lunch or langar at the Golden Temple Amritsar . Simply one word, divine. Simple food yet full of flavor and devotion.
Legendary Kesar da dhaba
This is my favorite place to have it. Kesar da dhaba is a legendary dhaba which is over 100 years old. It is a on every foodies mind when they come to Amritsar. Once you have tasted food here you are spoilt for good. It is a place you will come back again and again. When you make food with this devotion and serve it with so much love, one can never forget. Minimal décor but maximum taste .It is a taste you will go back too time and again. Both locals and tourists adore this food heaven. This dhaba is legendary and even the locals prefer getting this dal at home, instead of making it. Reason: Dhaba cooks this dal overnight over a slow flame.
How dal makhani is prepared?
Dal makhani ingredients are mainly urad dal and rajma. Rinse and wash with cold water for 1-2 times in a bowl. Soak them in enough water for 8 hours. Once soaked, they double in size. Discard the water.
2. In a pot, add the dal and rajma along with 4 cups water and salt. Allow it to boil. Once it has come to boil cover it with a lid. Let it cook on a low flame for 30 mins. If it is not soft, then add little more water and cook for few more minutes.
3. Puree tomatoes ,green chilly, garlic and ginger in a blender. Add this to the dal and mix well.
4. Add fresh cream and cook for 10 mins.
5. Mix the remaining spices and cook for 10 mins.
6. Stir well.Add more water if required
7. Add kasuri methi to the dal and cook for 5-10 mins until it comes to a boil. Serve hot with tandoori roti or jeera rice.
how do you make dal makhani ? Click here to see the video.
Read the dal makhani recipe below:
For boiling dal
- 1 cup kali Whole urad dal /black gram lentils soaked overnight
- ¼ cup Rajma /red kidney beans soaked overnight
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 litre Water
- 2 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 2 large tomatoes pureed
- ½ cup malai or fresh cream
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic
- 1 tbsp Green chillies chopped finely
- ½ tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- ½ tbsp Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi or Dried fenugreek leaves
- 3-4 red chillies optional for tempering
- ½ tbsp. salt
For boiling dal
- Rinse and wash urad dal and rajma with cold water for 1-2 times in a bowl.
- Soak them in enough water for 8 hours. Once soaked, they double in size. Discard water before usage.
- In a pot, add the dal and rajma along with 4 cups water and salt.
- Allow it to boil. Once it has come to boil cover it with a lid. Let it cook on a low flame for 30 mins. If it is not soft, then add little more water and cook for few more.
- Puree tomatoes ,green chilly, garlic, ginger in a blender.Add this to the pot of dal.
- Add fresh cream cook for 10 mins.
- Mix remaining spices and cook for 10 mins or until the dal is cooked. Add more water if required.
- Add kasuri methi and cook for 10 mins.
- Serve hot with rice or roti/parantha.
- Optionally, if you like lentils extra hot, you may heat ghee in a pan and temper red chillies. Add this to dal to make it spicy. Garnish with coriander.
Bring the cream to room temperature before using chilled or cold cream can split when put in hot dal. Adjust the quantity of water while cooking the dal. Please note that once the dal cools, it will become more thick.
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos.