‘Dal makhni’,or ‘Maa di daal‘ is a dish which can make or break your hotel.It is very simple yet very tasty. We love cooking it on Sunday for a lazy lunch.Hope you will enjoy making it too.All you need is some overnight soaking.You will never go wrong with serving this dal for any party lunch or dinner.
Golden Temple Langar
Golden temple langar also serves this dal as Prasad .Simply one word ,divine.
Legendary Kesar da dhaba
Another place to enjoy this heavenly ‘dal makhni‘ is at ‘Kesar da dhaba‘ very close to the Golden Temple complex.
Both locals and tourists adore this food heaven.This dhaba is legendary and even the locals prefer getting this dal at home, instead of making it.
To watch the video on how to make this yummy dal makhni click on the link below:
To read the written recipe of dal makhni scroll below:
- !For boiling dal
- 1 cup kali Whole urad dal/black gram lentils soaked overnight and boiled
- 1/4 cup Rajma (red kidney beans) soaked overnight and boiled
- 2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 2 large tomatoes, pureed
- 1/2 cup malai or fresh cream
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic
- 1 tbsp Green chillies, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi or Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 3-4 red chillies
- Rinse and wash urad dal and rajma with cold water for 4-5 times in a bowl.
- Soak them in enough water for 8 hours.
- Once soaked, they double in size.
- Discard water.
- Take whole urad and rajma in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water,salt.
- Pressure cook for 6 whistles or till dal is cooked.
- It takes 15-20 minutes.
- If it is not soft, then add little more water and cook for few more whistles.
- Puree tomatoes,green chillies,garlic,ginger in a food processor.
- Cook the boiled dal with equal amount of water,chilly powder and salt for 15 mins.
- Add tomato paste,cook for 10 mins.
- Add fresh cream,cook for 10 mins.
- Mix remaining spices,kasuri methi and cook for 10 mins.
- Heat ghee in a pan and temper red chillies.
- Add red chillies to dal.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or roti/parantha.
- !Note: Replace the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of thick tomato paste to enhance the taste and color.
- Bring the cream to room temperature before using chilled or cold cream can split when put in hot dal.