Dal makhni,or 'Maa di daal' is a dish which can make or break your hotel.It is very simple yet very tasty. We love cooking it on Sunday for a lazy lunch.Hope you will enjoy making it too.All you need is some overnight soaking.It takes even lesser in an instapot. You will never go wrong with serving this dal for any party lunch or dinner.
Golden Temple Langar
Golden temple langar also serves this dal as Prasad. Simply one word, divine.Simple food yet full of flavor and devotion.
Legendary Kesar da dhaba
Another place to enjoy this heavenly dish is at 'Kesar da dhaba'.This legendary dhaba is over 100 years old and has been featured in many movies too.It is a place you can never forget.Minimal decor but maximum taste.It is a taste you will go back too time and again.Both locals and tourists adore this food heaven.This dhaba is legendary and even the locals prefer getting this dal at home, instead of making it.This dal is cooked overnight on a slow flame.
Step by Step pictures of dal makhni
Click here to see how to make this recipe
Scroll below to read the recipe of dal makhni
Dal makhni-Creamy lentils
For boiling dal
- 1 cup kali Whole urad dal/black gram lentils soaked overnight and boiled
- 1/4 cup Rajma red kidney beans soaked overnight and boiled
- 2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 2 large tomatoes pureed
- 1/2 cup malai or fresh cream
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic
- 1 tbsp Green chillies chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi or Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 3-4 red chillies
For boiling dal
- Rinse and wash urad dal and rajma with cold water for 4-5 times in a bowl.
- Soak them in enough water for 8 hours.
- Once soaked, they double in size.
- Discard water.
- Take whole urad and rajma in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water,salt.
- Pressure cook for 6 whistles or till dal is cooked.
- It takes 15-20 minutes.
- If it is not soft, then add little more water and cook for few more whistles.
For cooking & tempering
- Puree tomatoes,green chillies,garlic,ginger in a food processor.
- Cook the boiled dal with equal amount of water,chilly powder and salt for 15 mins.
- Add tomato paste,cook for 10 mins.
- Add fresh cream,cook for 10 mins.
- Mix remaining spices,kasuri methi and cook for 10 mins.
- Heat ghee in a pan and temper red chillies.
- Add red chillies to dal.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or roti/parantha.
Bring the cream to room temperature before using chilled or cold cream can split when put in hot dal.
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos.