aloo paneer tikki is an easy air fried cutlets made with boiled potatoes and crumbled cottage cheese. This chaat recipe is a richer version of my other recipe aloo tikki on this site and pairs well spicy green chutney and sweet date chutney.
Vegetarian cutlets are a great appetizers. Whether its a protein rich rajma kebab or iron rich beetroot cutlets. If you are gluten-free buckwheat cutlets or make raw banana cutlets are a great option too.
Paneer is a great source of protein for vegetarians and has a fan following all over the world. There are many paneer recipes you can make. It is a popular ingredient for appetizers main course and desserts. Make a paneer tikka for a starter and Dunk the remaining paneer cubes in gravy to make paneer tikka masala. If you love manchurian, make a chili paneer. If you are looking at keto vegetarian recipes, keto paneer tikka or air fryer paneer is a great option. For dhaba style curries, kadai paneer, palak paneer, paneer butter masala or achari paneer. You can never go wrong with paneer based sweets too. spongy rassogulla, rajbhog and rasmalai are love!
- crumbled paneer / grated paneer
- boiled potatoes
- Cooked quinoa/ little millet / poha / sama
- olive oil / ghee for brushing
- chopped coriander leaves
- chopped ginger
- salt and black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Combine all ingredients (except the oil) into a large bowl and mix thoroughly into mashed potatoes and crumbled paneer.
Mix together to make a dough.
Use small portions and press them into patties on the tray lined with parchment paper. Keep them in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
You can also cover them and freeze them for later use.
Preheat the air fryer at 180 deg C| 355 deg F for 5 minutes
Place the paneer tikki in a single layer in the air fryer basket lined with a parchment paper.Brush them with oil.
Hint: Always preheat your air fryer like an oven for best results.
There are many ways you can make this.
- You can air fry them or bake them in a preheated oven.
- You can shallow fry them in hot oil or ghee in a cast iron skillet. You can also deep fry them in a kadai / wok.
- Vegetarian - You can fry them in ghee or spread some ghee while air frying.
- Vegan - Use crumbled tofu instead of paneer and fry them in olive oil.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or green chilies to it. Serve it with a spicy mint coriander chutney
- Deluxe - serve it with crispy onions or chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and chickpea curry.
- Kid friendly - serve it with tomato ketchup, sweet tamarind chutney / dates chutney.
- air fryer
- baking tray
- potato masher
- parchment paper
Store the left over paneer aloo tikki in refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can also freeze uncooked tikkis in a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover them with a cling film or baking sheet for best results.
Always preheat your air fryer like an oven after remaining the leftovers of the last cook. This will ensure your food does not have a burnt smell.
Chole tikki chaat originates from Uttar Pradesh in north India. It is street food which doubles up as a hearty meal too where it is served with chana masala. Topped with chopped onion & tomatoes, lemon juice and cilantro leaves.
If there is too much moisture or very little binding agent it will break. Also, if you are frying it, ensure you fry it in hot oil on a medium-high flame.
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
aloo paneer tikki recipe
- Air fryer for low oil version
- potato masher
- food processor (optional)
- 250 gm potatoes /2 cup boiled and peeled
- 200 gm paneer / 2 cup crumbled
- 1 cup cooked millet / quinoa / sama ⅓ cup millet yields 1 cup cooked millet
- 2 tbsp. ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp. salt
- handful Mint leaves chopped
- Combine all ingredients (except the oil) into a large bowl and mix thoroughly into mashed potatoes and crumbled paneer.
- Use small portions and press them into patties on the tray lined with parchment paper. Keep them in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the air fryer at 180 deg C| 355 deg F for 5 minutesPlace the paneer tikki in a single layer in the air fryer basket lined with a parchment paper.Brush them with oil.
- Cook them for 12 minutes. Carefully flip them over (you may remove the parchment paper now) remove parchment paper later
- Brush with oil and cook them for further 8-10 minutes. Serve golden brown paneer potato cutlet with your favorite dipping sauce.
For cast iron (traditional frying method)
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan,start cooking the patties in a batch of 2-3 patties.
- Cook on low/medium flame until light brown on both sides adding more oil/ghee during the cook.
- Serve these delicous patties hot with mint chutney or sweet tamarind chutney
Conclusion: healthy aloo paneer tikkis is an easy recipe for your bento boxes. Kids love finger food in school snack and they definitely will love your potato paneer cutlets.