Treat yourself to the irresistible flavors of Tandoori Mushroom Tikka, a mouthwatering air-fried dish that perfectly captures the authentic essence of Indian cuisine and will leave your taste buds craving for more. The vegan delight that we are presenting to you is an exquisite combination of marinated mushrooms, carefully selected aromatic spices, and the added benefit of being cooked in an air fryer for your convenience. Elevate your culinary skills as we explore the art of crafting the perfect Tandoori Mushroom Tikka. Serve it with mint chutney or tomato sauce for a delicious snack.
There are many easy mushroom recipes you can make in a jiffy. Not just as pizza toppings or as an addition in air fryer pot pie. Whether its mushroom curry like vegan kofta or air fry small button mushrooms. You can make a vegan portobello mushroom burger or an air fryer mushroom black bean burger for a hearty meal or just have it as a side with air fryer mushrooms. Saute kale and mushrooms for a healthy meal with vegan naan or make stuffed mushrooms for mains. It is a win-win each time.
Ingredients for vegan mushroom tikka
Gather the following ingredients:
- A pack of mushrooms (I prefer white cup mushrooms or button mushrooms)
- Coconut milk (you may use thick yogurt / plain greek yogurt if not vegan)
- Gram flour (chickpea flour) or red lentil flour.
- Lemon juice
- Curry powder of a combination of turmeric powder,coriander powder & garam masala powder
- Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- oil to spray/brush
- Wooden skewers or metal prong skewers
- Onion rings and lemon wedges for garnish
refer to recipe card for details.
- Fan forced oven / air fryer
- large mixing bowl
Instructions for marination
Prepare your air fryer mushroom tikka with the following steps:
- Prepare the marinate - mix the spices with lentil flour .
2. Add the coconut milk and water to the dry ingredients.
3. Mix into a smooth batter with a whisk.
4. Marinating the Mushrooms: Add the mushrooms to the marinade mix.
5. Toss the mushrooms in the marinade so that they are evenly coated, leave them aside for 30 minutes.
6. Assembling the Skewers: Thread marinated mushrooms in the wooden skewers.
7. Air Frying: In a preheated air fryer for 5 minutes at 170 C|340 F. Place the assembled skewers on the air fryer tray or baking tray lined with parchment paper.Cook for 9-10 minutes @170 deg C|340 deg F or until the mushrooms are golden brown .
Serve hot with cilantro chutney.
If you are someone who wants to make adjustments to the recipe to cater to your dietary preferences or based on the ingredients you have available, take into consideration these suggested substitutions.
- Paneer tikka recipe: Replace mushrooms with paneer cubes for a classic paneer Tikka.
- Keto paneer tikka - Replace the mushrooms and the marinade with paneer cubes and almond flour for a keto version.
- If you do not own the air fryer, you may use stick griddle to make the recipe.
- You can also use tofu to make tofu tikka for another vegan alternative.
- You may add ginger-garlic paste, tsp coriander powder,tsp garam masala and chaat masala to the tandoori marinade for a tangy version or add them to tomato sauce to make a yummy tikka masala sauce and make it mains - tandoori mushroom masala.
Take your taste buds on a journey and explore the incredible versatility of Tandoori Mushroom Tikka through these unique variations:
- Vegetarian Alternative: Swap coconut milk with plain yogurt or hung curd for vegetarian inspirations.
- Spicy alternative If you want to customize the spice levels of the marinade, try experimenting with the amount of red chili powder or consider incorporating cayenne pepper to give it an extra kick.
- Bell peppers - add cubed pieces of red, yellow and green bell pepper for a colorful twist.
- You can also make a mushroom tikka masala recipe on similar lines as paneer tikka masala.
I prefer using the white cup mushrooms, button mushrooms are little smaller but you can use those as well. You may also use brown cup mushrooms.
Vegan mushroom tikka recipe | air fryer tandoori mushroom tikka recipe
- 300 grams mushrooms
- Prepare the marinate - mix the spices with lentil flour and coconut milk and water.Mix into a smooth batter with a whisk
- Marinating the Mushrooms: Add the mushrooms to the marinade mixtoss the mushrooms in the marinade so that they are evenly coated, leave them aside for 30 minutes.
- Assembling the Skewers: Thread marinated mushrooms in the wooden skewers
- Air Frying:In a preheated air fryer for 5 minutes at 170C|340F. Place the assembled skewers on the air fryer tray or baking tray lined with parchment paper.Cook for 9-10 minutes until the mushrooms are golden brown .
- Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
Indulge your taste buds in the tantalizing flavors of Tandoori Mushroom Tikka, a dish that effortlessly combines the richness of tradition with the convenience of modernity. Regardless of whether it is enjoyed as an appetizer or a main course, this delightful dish cooked in an air fryer is bound to become a crowd-pleaser at both formal events and informal get-togethers.