What is kadai paneer?
Cottage cheese cooked in a spicy onion tomato gravy with capsicums, that is prepared in a kadai(metal pan/wok).This kadai is preferably a steel or an aluminium pan.You cannot cook this in an iron pan due to the heavy use of tomatoes.This curry is a bit thick than the 'matar paneer' recipe and is generally served with roti bread.It is an easy paneer recipe and is finger-licking good.
How can use paneer?
You can make desserts like 'Rajbhog' or 'Rasgulla',dress it in a gravy like 'Kadai Paneer masala' ,Paneer butter masala or 'Palak Paneer' a main course, or make an appetizer like 'Kabab' or 'pakode' out of it.Paneer kadai recipe is an easy way to please family & guests alike.There is no better element to work with in veggie cuisine like 'paneer' and potatoes.They have their nutrients too.
Why is it so popular?
'Kadai Paneer' is one of the easiest recipes, which you can make for a gathering or for a routine dinner.
Soft creamy cottage cheese melts into the mouth.
You can serve it with both Indian Flat bread and Rice.You may make your own paneer or buy it from a local dairy.'Tandoori Roti' or 'Garlic Naan' or Lachcha Paratha works great with this curry.Most people use cream in this recipe,however,this is the low fat version so we have used yogurt here.Karahi paneer is yummy fingerlicking good.Serve it with yogurt dip and some 'Papad'.
Paneer is also rich in calcium and proteins.
Hence, you do not need to depend on eggs or meat for your nutrients.There are two kinds of people in India. One who love cottage cheese or paneer recipe to death and others who do not.Paneer dishes are a great way to have the goodness of milk and very versatile.
How to make kadai paneer in dhaba style ? Step by step pictures.
1.Cook onion,capsicum in oil,keep it aside
2.Add onion,ginger,chilles to cook in oil
3.Add tomato paste, cook for 10 minutes
4.Add spices and cook
5.Cook until the oil comes out
6.Add yogurt and mix well
7.Add water and cook
8.Add paneer pices with onion/capsicum
Read the Kadai Paneer recipe below:
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 medium onion finely chopped/thick paste
- ½ red & green capsicums/pepper diced
- 3 medium tomatoes pureed
- 200 grams paneer or cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ginger & chilli paste
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder/dhania
- 1 tsp cumin powder/jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp yogurt.
- Heat oil in a pan,cook capsicum and cubed onions for few mins,keep aside.
- Add ginger,chillies and finely chopped onion with salt,cook until brown
- Now add tomatoes puree and let it soften.
- Add spices and cook until oil oozes out.
- Add yogurt,cook for few minutes and add 2 cups of water.
- Cook until it starts boiling,Add paneer cubes with capsicum and stir well.(You can saute the paneer cubes in 1 tbsp of oil/ghee before adding to the gravy.This is optional)
- Add kasuri methi,Cook for 10 minutes,turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with roti or jeera rice.
- Garnish with coriander.
Click here for additional curry recipes
Also, click here to watch additional recipe videos.