No Telugu wedding is complete without Bagharei Baingan recipe in its menu.Also known as Gutti vankaya kura down south. This stuffed brinjal curry is definitely in every wedding menu. It has a rich nutty gravy full of flavor. Eggplants are such a great vegetable. Grows easily at home and cooks quickly too. Whether its taryal vangan or simple baingan aloo.Baba ganoush or baingan ka bharta. Dahi baingan or vangi bhaath. There is always something which everyone likes.
Ugadi is one of the most important festivals in South India. It is the Telugu Hindu New year and falls on the first day of Chaitra month of the Hindu calendar. We celebrate it usually, late March or Mid-April. There are many activities lined up during Ugadi like Kolam Rangoli, visiting temples and a huge feast for all foodies.
Delicious feasts include traditional dishes like Ugadi Pachadi, Kajji kayalu(Gujiya), Gutti Vankaya kura, Mudda pappu, Puran Poli or Bobbatlu in the menu. Chaitra maas brings Hindu New year in various parts of India. Marathis celebrate Gudi Padwa, Sindhis Cheti chand. Most of North India Navratri and the south celebrates Ugadi. It is a time to feast in Deccan and down south, while many fast (for Chaitra Navratre) in Northern part of India.
Some people are allergic to eggplants and report itchy mouth, skin and upset stomach. They should consult the doctor before having them. I had developed an allergy with eggplants for some years. Missed it big time. Now, thankfully I am able to eat them but I still get a tummy ache if I club dairy with it. Hence, I ensure I do not eat yogurt or kadhi when eating brinjals. At least, I can enjoy it again in small portions.
You can also stuff potatoes in the same way. This makes it appealing to all age groups.
Read the recipe of Gutti Vankaya kura below:
Gutti Vankaya kura-Stuffed brinjal curry
- 4-6 Brinjals
- 3-4 Potatoes
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or tamarind juice
For the stuffing
- 4 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp cashews
- 1 tbsp 'til' or sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp 'jeera' or cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp 'dhaniya' or coriander seeds
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 dried red chillies
For the gravy
- 1 piece ginger chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp 'jeera' or cumin seeds
- 1 tsp 'rai' or mustard seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green chilly chopped
- Handful of curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Roast all the ingredients for the spice powder and powder them.
- Slit the brinjals and potatoes into 4 parts while keeping one end intact.
- Keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil for tempering.Add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,curry leaves,onions,ginger and garlic.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric.Cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the potatoes.
- Cook for few minutes until they are little soft.
- Add brinjals now and some oil.
- Add lemon juice.
- Serve hot with 'roti' or rice.
Looking for more eggplant recipes?
Click here for more curry recipes
Finally click here for more recipe videos