Khorak-Sindhi sweet,is a traditional recipe. Sindhi sweets are full of protein. Sindhi dishes and snacks are very royal.We do not shy away from using nuts and ghee. Khorak or Majoon/Majun too is one such delicacy.It is made with wholemeal flour, dry fruits, ghee and khuskhus**(poppy seeds).You can make it all around the year. However it is eaten primarily during winters and Diwali. This is a very simple recipe.You can make it with minimal ingredients. It takes less than 30 minutes. This is our take on this classic recipe of Khorak.
Traditionally gond(edible gum) makes this sweet dish more rich and heavy. This Sindhi mithai is a rich sweet full of nuts. Eating two large pieces of Khorak can suffice for breakfast. Here, we have replaced white sugar with natural jaggery** to make it healthier. You may use white sugar in equal quantity as of flour. We had to use a bit more of jaggery to get the required sweetness. You may garnish with melon seeds as done in the traditional recipe.
** Pls check with your medical practitioner in case of any allergies.
Eating too much of poppy seeds can make you drowsy.
Pregnant women should avoid poppy seeds as it can cause heat.
How to make Sindhi Khorak?
1. Dry roast wholewheat flour.
2. Add ghee and cook it until rawness disappears.
3. Add nuts and poppy seeds along with coconut flour/desiccated coconut.
4. Add sugar syrup and mix well.
5. Cook until it comes together. Turn off the heat.
6. Grease a tray and set the khorak mix by spreading evenly with a spatula. Mark incisions to cut into slices.
Read recipe of Sindhi Khorak below
- ¾ cup or 125 gms flour
- ½ cup or 125 gms ghee or clarified butter
- ½ cup or 125 ml water
- ¾ cup or 175 gms jaggery/gud or you may use ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup or 60 gm mixed nuts cashews,almonds,walnuts,raisins chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. Khuskhus/poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 3-4 cardamoms seeds only
- Heat water in a pan, add the jaggery/gud pieces.Boil it, until it forms a sticky liquid.Keep this aside
- Then,heat ghee in a pan. Add flour and cook on medium flame stirring continuously until golden brown, this will take around 10-12 minutes
- Add all other ingredients except the jaggery mix to the flour mix.Mix well
- Then,add the jaggery syrup to the flour mix at high flame
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn off the heat once the jaggery syrup has been absorbed.
- Spread the mix in a tray lined with baking paper or greased with ghee.
- Garnish with thinly chopped nuts..
- Let this set for 2-3 hours and cut into required shapes.
- This can be stored in a cool and dark place for 1-2 weeks.
Jaggery and poppy seeds are added as this sweet is made at onset of winter for Diwali.These ingredients are heat inducing so increase immunity of the body naturally against changing cold weather.Please check with the doctor ,before including in your diet,in case of any allergies or medical conditions.
How to make majoon/Sindhi khorak? Watch the video.
Click here to see more Sindhi recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.