Besani /besan ki roti is chickpea flour flatbread.This gram flour chapati is a yummy breakfast.It is crispy and full of flavor.We generally have it on the Sindhi festival of nandhi (choti)and vaddi Thadri(badi) or Saatam Aatham.However, you can make them anytime for tea or breakfast.It is a flaky bread with onions and some spices.You can also have it during travel.Just have it with tea if you do not have anything to go with it.It is full of proteins due to the chickpea flour or besan.Any tomato ketchup or mint chutney works well along with it.Apart from besan chilla,this besan koki is wonderful filling besan recipe for breakfast.
What is Thadri? How is it celebrated?
'Vaddi Satain'(7th day after Rakshabandhan)/Vaddi Thadri or saatam aatham is an important Sindhi festival.We celebrate this festival just before Janamashtami. Nandhi Thadri comes after Nag Panchami.On both the days,we observe 'Thado' and consume cold food.
What do we do on Thadri?
This day we pray to Goddess Jogmaya or Sheetla mata for good health and prosperity. Mothers generally sing the song 'Thaar maata Thaar Mujhe bacchiyan he thaar' as a prayer to Sheetla Mata.This is to save the children from life threatening diseases like smallpox and measles.
We cook food a day early and also worship the source of fire,stove. Especially prepared are Sindhi flatbreads like Lolo,Chauthe & Besani.Apart from Sindhi lola with jaggery there are many special recipes which are eaten cold on the next day.They are sanna pakore/double fried pakode koki,dal ja parantha.We also make matho, dahi boondi, satpuras,nijji palak, etc.We also eat Dahi bade and other milk based sweets like peda,kheer etc.
Scroll below to watch how to make Besani
Ingredients for besani
Read the Besani recipe below
Besani -chickpea flour flatbread
- 1.5 cup chickpea flour/1.5 कप बेसन
- 1 onion/1 प्याज
- ½ cup wholemeal flour/1/2 कप साबुत आटा
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds/1 बड़ा चम्मच धनिया के बीज
- 1 tbsp green chilli chopped/ 1 बड़ा चम्मच मिर्च
- ½ tsp turmeric/1/2 टीस्पून हल्दी
- 1 tsp salt/1 टीस्पून नमक
- 1 tsp garam masala/1 टीस्पून गरम मसाला
- 1 tsp red chilli powder/1 टीस्पून लाल मिर्च पाउडर
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds/1 बड़ा चम्मच अनार दाना
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds/1 बड़ा चम्मच जीरा
- chopped green coriander/कटा हुआ हरा धनिया
- water for kneading/गूंथने के लिए पानी
- Mix all ingredients with ¼ cup oil.
- Add minimal water if required.
- Knead the dough until it forms a stiff dough.
- Divide in equal parts ,using little oil, roll it into thick flatbreads.
- Heat a non-stick pan and cook flatbread brushing with oil on both sides.
- Cook on both sides until it turns golden brown.
Click here to see more bread recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.